Investment and Employment Dynamics in the Short Run and the Long Run
AbstractA firm's stochastic dynamic investment and employment decisions are examined when each of capital and labor has linear adjustment costs of increase and decrease. The analysis generated an endogenous ranking of the two factors as more or less flexible; thus the concepts of short and long runs are endogenized. Qualitative characteristics of the dynamics of the two factors are described. Adjustment of the more flexible factor can occur on its own but that of the less flexible factor occurs less frequently and only in conjunction with a complementary adjustment of the more flexible factor. Copyright 1997 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 49 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Letterie, Wilko A. & Pfann, Gerard A. & Polder, J. Michael, 2004. "Factor adjustment spikes and interrelation: an empirical investigation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 145-150, November.
- Jyh-Bang Jou, 2001. "Environment, Asset Characteristics, and Optimal Effluent Fees," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(1), pages 27-39, September.
- Polder, Michael & Verick, Sher, 2004. "Dynamics of Labour and Capital Adjustment – A Comparison of Germany and the Netherlands," IZA Discussion Papers 1212, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Byzalov, Dmitri & Chen, Lei (Tony), 2013. "Employment protection legislation, adjustment costs and cross-country differences in cost behavior," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 111-127.
- Nicholas Bloom, 2000. "The dynamic effects of real options and irreversibility on investment and labour demand," IFS Working Papers W00/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Letterie, Wilko & Nilsen, Øivind A. & Pfann, Gerard, 2008.
"Interrelated Factor Demand with Nonconvex Adjustment Costs: a Note,"
002, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Letterie, Wilko & Nilsen, Øivind A. & Pfann, Gerard, 2008. "Interrelated Factor Demand with Nonconvex Adjustment Costs: a Note," Research Memoranda 002, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Katsuya Takii, 2005. "Limited Attention, Interaction and the Growth of a Firm," Macroeconomics 0506005, EconWPA.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Funke, Michael, 2008.
"China´s new labour contract law: no harm to employment?,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2008-51, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Funke, Michael, 2009. "China's new Labour Contract Law: No harm to employment?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 558-572, September.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2008. "China's New Labour Contract Law:No Harm to Employment?," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 220, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Michael Funke & Yu-Fu Chen, 2009. "China's new labour contract law: No harm to employment?," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20909b, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Funke, Michael, 2008. "China's new labour contract law: No harm to employment?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 29/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Domenico Lombardi & Stephen Bond, 2004. "To Buy or Not to Buy? Uncertainty, Irreversibility and Heterogeneous Investment Dynamics in Italian Company Data," IMF Working Papers 04/104, International Monetary Fund.
- Leland, Hayne E., 1999. "Optimal Portfolio Management with Transactions Costs and Capital Gains Taxes," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt0fw6k0hm, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Cattaneo, Andrea & Robinson, Sherman, 2000. "Empirical models, rules, and optimization," TMD discussion papers 53, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Eberly, Janice C. & Van Mieghem, Jan A., 1997. "Multi-factor Dynamic Investment under Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 345-387, August.
- Marcelo Ochoa, 2013. "Volatility, labor heterogeneity and asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-71, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bazdresch, Santiago, 2013. "The role of non-convex costs in firms' investment and financial dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 929-950.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.