Export Zones and Welfare: Another Look
AbstractIn this paper, the authors show that the welfare effects of an export promotion zone can be divided into a factor terms-of-trade effect and a volume-of-trade effect. The first effect raises welfare, whereas the second is uncertain. To date, however, the literature has ignored the factor terms-of-trade effect, thereby creating a bias against export zones. In addition, the authors demonstrate that zones increase welfare for trade regimes that rely on quantitative restrictions. Copyright 1995 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 47 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Madani, Dorsati, 1999. "A review of the role and impact of export processing zones," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2238, The World Bank.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2010. "Formation of special economic zone, liberalized FDI policy and agricultural productivity," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 779-788, October.
- Johansson, Helena & Nilsson, Lars, 1997. "Export processing zones as catalysts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2115-2128, December.
- Devereux, John & Roberts, Bryan, 1997. "Direct Foreign Investment and Welfare in the Transforming Economies: The Case of Central Asia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 297-312, June.
- Yasuyuki Sugiyama, 2006. "Export Processing Zones and Environmental Policy," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 06-22, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Wei GE, 1999. "The Dynamics Of The Exports-Processing Zone," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 144, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:20:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.