Wages, Taxes and the Utility-Maximizing Trade Union: A Confrontationwith Norwegian Data
AbstractThis paper estimates a model of wage formation where the central assumptions are: (1) exce pt for a random error term, the aggregate wage level is determined by a single t rade union; (2) union utility depends on the real disposable wage and on employm ent; and (3) firmsdetermine employment and react to wage increases by reducing employment. The purpose is to see whether such a theory can be made operational and whether the model can be made to fit reasonably well with Norwegian data (19 62-82). Results are mixed and do not give much support to the approach taken, bu t several possibilities for further refinement remain. Copyright 1986 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 38 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anders Forslund & Nils Gottfries & Andreas Westermark, 2006.
"Real and Nominal Wage Adjustment in Open Economies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich
1649, CESifo Group Munich.
- Forslund, Anders & Gottfries, Nils & Westermark, Andreas, 2005. "Real and nominal wage adjustment in open economies," Working Paper Series, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy 2005:23, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Forslund, Anders & Gottfries, Nils & Westermark, Andreas, 2005. "Real and Nominal Wage Adjustment in Open Economies," Working Paper Series, Uppsala University, Department of Economics 2005:18, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
3181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1990. " The Wage Curve," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 215-35.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995. "The Wage Curve," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, December.
- Blanchflower, D. & Oswald, A., 1989. "The Wage Curve," Papers, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics 340, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.