Relational Contracts, Multitasking, and Job Design
AbstractThis article analyzes optimal job design in a repeated principal-agent relationship when there is only one contractible and imperfect performance measure for three tasks whose contribution to firm value is nonverifiable. The tasks can be assigned to either one or two agents. Assigning an additional task to an agent strengthens his relational contract. Therefore, broad task assignments are optimal when the performance measure strongly distorts incentives for the two-task job. This is more likely to be the case if these two tasks are substitutes. The Author 2007. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Yale University. All rights reserved. For permissions, please email: email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jleo.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vasconcelos, Luis & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2010.
"Optimal Job Design In The Presence Of Implicit Contracts,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp551, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Arijit Mukherjee & Luis Vasconcelos, 2011. "Optimal job design in the presence of implicit contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(1), pages 44-69, 03.
- Schöttner, Anja & Kragl, Jenny, 2013.
"Wage Floors, Imperfect Performance Measures, and Optimal Job Design,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
79941, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Jenny Kragl & Anja Schöttner, 2012. "Wage Floors, Imperfect Performance Measures, and Optimal Job Design," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2012-36, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Randolph Sloof & Joep Sonnemans, 2009.
"The Interaction between Explicit and Relational Incentives: An Experiment,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-030/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sloof, Randolph & Sonnemans, Joep, 2011. "The interaction between explicit and relational incentives: An experiment," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 573-594.
- James Malcomson, 2010.
"Relational Incentive Contracts,"
Economics Series Working Papers
508, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- James M. Malcomson, 2012.
"Relational Incentive Contracts
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- James M. Malcomson, 2012. "Relational Incentive Contracts
- Goldlücke, Susanne & Kranz, Sebastian, 2012. "Delegation, monitoring, and relational contracts," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 405-407.
- Thiele, Veikko, 2010. "Task-specific abilities in multi-task principal-agent relationships," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 690-698, August.
- Thomas Buser & Noemi Peter, 2012.
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 641-655, December.
- Thomas Buser & Noemi Peter, 2011. "Multitasking: Productivity Effects and Gender Differences," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-044/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kragl, Jenny & Schmid, Julia, 2009. "The impact of envy on relational employment contracts," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 766-779, November.
- Martimort, David & Semenov, Aggey & Stole, Lars, 2014.
"A Theory of Contracts With Limited Enforcement,"
53504, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kragl, Jenny & Schöttner, Anja, 2011. "Wage Floors and Optimal Job Design," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48731, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.