Bayesian Inference for Discretely Sampled Markov Processes with Closed-Form Likelihood Expansions
AbstractThis article proposes a new Bayesian Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) methodology for estimation of a wide class of multidimensional jump-diffusion models. Our approach is based on the closed-form (CF) likelihood approximations of Aït-Sahalia�(2002,�2008). The CF likelihood approximation does not integrate to 1; it is very close to 1 when in the center of the distribution but can differ markedly from 1 when far in the tails. We propose an MCMC algorithm that addresses the problems that arise when the CF approximation is applied in a Bayesian context. The efficacy of our approach is demonstrated in a simulation study of the Cox--Ingersoll--Ross and Heston models and is applied to two well-known datasets. Copyright The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 8 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Varughese, Melvin M., 2013. "Parameter estimation for multivariate diffusion systems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 417-428.
- Isambi Mbalawata & Simo Särkkä & Heikki Haario, 2013. "Parameter estimation in stochastic differential equations with Markov chain Monte Carlo and non-linear Kalman filtering," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 1195-1223, June.
- Lee, Yoon Dong & Song, Seongjoo & Lee, Eun-Kyung, 2014. "The delta expansion for the transition density of diffusion models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 694-705.
- Filipović, Damir & Mayerhofer, Eberhard & Schneider, Paul, 2013. "Density approximations for multivariate affine jump-diffusion processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 93-111.
- Mario Cerrato & Chia Chun Lo & Konstantinos Skindilias, 2011. "Adaptive continuous time Markov chain approximation model to general jump-diffusions," Working Papers 2011_16, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Sarno, Lucio & Schneider, Paul & Wagner, Christian, 2010. "Properties of Foreign Exchange Risk Premia," MPRA Paper 21302, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.