Granger Causality and Dynamic Structural Systems
AbstractUsing a generally applicable dynamic structural system of equations, we give natural definitions of direct and total structural causality applicable to both structural vector autoregressions (VARs) and recursive structures representing time-series natural experiments. These concepts enable us to forge a previously missing link between Granger (G-)causality and structural causality by showing that, given a corresponding conditional form of exogeneity, G-causality holds if and only if a corresponding form of structural causality holds. We introduce a variety of structurally informative extensions of G-causality and provide their structural characterizations. Of importance for applications is the structural characterization of finite-order G-causality, which forms the basis for most empirical work. We show that conditional exogeneity is necessary for valid structural inference and prove that, in the absence of structural causality, conditional exogeneity is equivalent to G noncausality. These characterizations hold for both structural VARs and natural experiments. We propose practical new G-causality and conditional exogeneity tests and describe their use in testing for structural causality. We illustrate with studies of oil and gasoline prices, monetary policy and industrial production, and stock returns and macroeconomic announcements. Copyright The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 8 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (spring)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- White, Halbert & Chalak, Karim, 2010.
"Testing a conditional form of exogeneity,"
Economics Letters, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 88-90, November.
- Halbert White & Karim Chalak, 2010. "Testing a Conditional Form of Exogeneity," Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics 733, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lorenzo Frattarolo & Dominique Guegan, 2013.
"Empirical Projected Copula Process and Conditional Independence an Extended Version,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
13068, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Lorenzo Frattarolo & Dominique Guegan, 2013. "Empirical Projected Copula Process and Conditional Independence An Extended Version," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers), HAL halshs-00881185, HAL.
- Majid M. Al-Sadoon, 2013.
"Geometric and long run aspects of Granger causality,"
Economics Working Papers, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
1356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Al-Sadoon, Majid M., 2014. "Geometric and long run aspects of Granger causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 558-568.
- Majid Al-Sadoon, 2013. "Geometric and Long Run Aspects of Granger Causality," Working Papers, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics 682, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Lu, Xun & White, Halbert, 2014. "Robustness checks and robustness tests in applied economics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 178(P1), pages 194-206.
- White, Halbert & Pettenuzzo, Davide, 2014.
"Granger causality, exogeneity, cointegration, and economic policy analysis,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 178(P2), pages 316-330.
- Davide Pettenuzzo & Halbert White, 2010. "Granger Causality, Exogeneity, Cointegration, and Economic Policy Analysis," Working Papers, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School 36, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Blake LeBaron, 2013. "Heterogeneous Agents and Long Horizon Features of Asset Prices," Working Papers, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School 63, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School, revised Sep 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.