Dealing with Poverty and Income Distribution Issues in Developing Countries: Cross-Regional Experiences
AbstractThe paper deals with the major empirical poverty and income distribution issues in the context of developing countries. To focus attention it starts with a simple poverty decomposition framework where a change in poverty is shown to be the sum of a change due to economic growth and a change due to income distribution. It is shown that when the poverty line is a function of mean income, the elasticity of the poverty line with respect to income plays an important role in determining the size of the change due to growth. Using a recent set of data on income distribution for developing countries, the paper then looks at income inequality and poverty in three developing regions (Latin America, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa). Empirical results on the Kuznets curve, initial inequality, and growth and adjustment and poverty are reported and policy implications are drawn. Copyright 1998 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) in its journal Journal of African Economies.
Volume (Year): 7 (1998)
Issue (Month): 0 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Belkacem Laabas and Imed Limam, . "Impact of public policies on poverty, income distribution and growth," API-Working Paper Series 0401, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Frances Stewart, . "Income Distribution and Development," QEH Working Papers qehwps37, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Arne Bigsten & JÃ¶rgen Levin, 2010.
"Growth, Income Distribution, and Poverty: A Review,"
- Bigsten, Arne & Levin, Jorgen, 2001. "Growth, Income Distribution, and Poverty: A Review," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bigsten , Arne & Levin, Jörgen, 2000. "Growth, Income Distribution, and Poverty: A Review," Working Papers in Economics 32, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- ALi Abdel Gadir Ali, . "Poverty in the Arab Region: A Selective Review," API-Working Paper Series 0402, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Ali Abdel Gadir Ali, . "Conflict Resolution and Wealth Sharing in Sudan: Towards an Allocation Formula," API-Working Paper Series 0305, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.