A New Regional Price Index for Cote d'Ivoire Using Data from the International Comparisons Project
AbstractThe authors report on an exercise in economic statistics. They develop a regional price index for Cote d'Ivoire building on the strengths of two independent data sources: the Cote d'Ivoire Living Standards Survey (CILSS) and the International Comparisons Project (ICP). The CILSS collected detailed information on household incomes, spending, employment, and so on, but its coverage of prices left much to be desired. The ICP collected a wealth of information on prices across the country, but collected no information on household spending patterns or other socioeconomic data. The authors bring together these two sources to produce a regional price index that they argue is superior to previous estimates based solely on the Living Standards Survey. The procedures they follow should be of interest to practitioners faced with similar data shortcomings, particularly when working on Africa. They show this to be no mere statistical exercise. Using the new price index can have a significant effect on earlier evaluations of poverty in Cote d'Ivoire. They also use the new price information to construct disaggregated indices by commodity category and by poverty group.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) in its journal Journal of African Economies.
Volume (Year): 3 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Grootaert, Christiaan & Kanbur, Ravi, 1993. "A new regional price index for Cote d'Ivoire using data from the international comparisons project," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1080, The World Bank.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muller, Christophe, 2008.
"The Measurement of Poverty with Geographical and Intertemporal Price Dispersion. Evidence from Rwanda,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4381, Paris Dauphine University.
- Christophe Muller, 2008. "The Measurement Of Poverty With Geographical And Intertemporal Price Dispersion: Evidence From Rwanda," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 27-49, 03.
- Christophe Muller, 2005. "The measurement of poverty with geographical and intertemporal price dispersion, Evidence from Rwanda," Working Papers DT/2005/16, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Christophe Muller, 2005. "The Measurement Of Poverty With Geographical And Intertemporal Price Dispersion. Evidence From Rwanda," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2000. "Poverty Comparisons Over Time and Across Countries in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2123-2155, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.