Impacts of Exports on Economic Performance: A Comparative Study
AbstractThe main task of this paper is to conduct a comparative investigation of two very similar empirical studies, namely, Fosu (1990a) and Helleiner (1986), and to isolate factors (model specification, sample, period of estimation) that have led the authors to reach different conclusions concerning the role of the export sector in the process of growth. The paper then extends the Fosu and Helleiner tests to a later period. In order to explain the different conclusions, an extensive "sensitivity analysis" is conducted and we are led to conclude that different model specifications can best explain the difference in the authors' empirical results. The results indicate that measuring the export variable in models testing the export-led growth hypothesis is a crucial task, and that extended modelling must be part of the future research agenda. Copyright 1993 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) in its journal Journal of African Economies.
Volume (Year): 2 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abdullahi Ahmed & Enjiang Cheng & George Messinis, 2011. "The role of exports, FDI and imports in development: evidence from Sub-Saharan African countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(26), pages 3719-3731.
- Winter-Nelson, Alex, 1996. "Discount rates, natural resources, and the measurement of aggregate economic growth in Africa," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 21-32, April.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2000. "The International Dimension of African Economic Growth," CID Working Papers 34, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Winter-Nelson, Alex, 1995. "Natural resources, national income, and economic growth in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1507-1519, September.
- Stephanie Seguino, 2000. "Accounting for Gender in Asian Economic Growth," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 27-58.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.