On young highly innovative companies: why they matter and how (not) to policy support them
AbstractRecent policy initiatives in the EU aim at supporting so-called young highly innovative companies (YICs). This article provides empirical evidence from German CIS data on the innovative performances of this specific type of firms, supporting why they matter. We first characterize YICs in the sample of innovation active firms. We show that firms that combine newness, smallness, and high R&D intensity are rare in the sample of innovative firms, but achieve significantly higher innovative sales than other innovative firms, especially innovative sales that are new to the market. Not surprisingly, YICs view financial constraints, both internal and external, as an important factor hampering their innovation activities, significantly more so than other innovation active firms. This access to finance problem is an often used motive for government intervention. On the effectiveness of subsidies, our results suggest that the subsidy allocation mechanisms at place in Germany during the sample period are not associated with relatively higher innovative performance of the subsidized YICs as compared to other recipients. Copyright 2010 The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Associazione ICC. All rights reserved., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013.
"Young leading innovators and the EU's R&D intensity gap,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 177-198, March.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013. "Young Leading Innovators and the EU’s R&D intensity gap," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cincera, Michele & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2012. "Young leading innovators and the EU’s R&D intensity gap," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/357486, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Maria Luisa Mancusi & Andrea Vezzulli, 2013. "R&D and Credit Rationing in SMEs," Working Papers 2013/12, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Agustí Segarra & José García-Quevedo & Mercedes Teruel, 2013.
"Financial constraints and the failure of innovation projects,"
2013/11, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Agustí Segarra & José García-Quevedo & Mercedes Teruel, 2013. "Financial constraints and the failure of innovation projects," Working Papers XREAP2013-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Mar 2013.
- Segarra Blasco, Agustí, 1958- & García Quevedo, José & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013. "Financial constraints and the failure of innovation projects," Working Papers 2072/211807, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Andries, Petra & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2012.
"Small firm innovation performance and employee involvement,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/338133, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Andries, Petra & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2012. "Small firm innovation performance and employee involvement," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-013, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012. "Financial Constraints: Do They Matter to R&D Subsidy Attribution?," GEMF Working Papers 2012-18, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli, 2010.
"Young firms and innovation: a microeconometric analysis,"
DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali
dises1068, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Pellegrino, Gabriele & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Young firms and innovation: A microeconometric analysis," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 329-340.
- LOPES BENTO Cindy & HOTTENROTT Hanna, 2012.
"(International) R&D Collaboration and SMEs: The effectiveness of targeted public R&D support schemes,"
CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series
- Hottenrott, Hanna & Lopes-Bento, Cindy, 2012. "(International) R&D collaboration and SMEs: The effectiveness of targeted public R&D support schemes," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-086, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Hottenrott, Hanna & Lopes Bento, Cindy, 2013. "(International) R&D collaboration and SMEs: The effectiveness of targeted public R&D support schemes," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/376331, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Arvanitis, Spyros & Lokshin, Boris & Mohnen, Pierre & Wörter, Martin, 2013.
"Impact of external knowledge acquisition strategies on innovation - A comparative study based on Dutch and Swiss panel data,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
003, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Martin Wörter & Pierre Mohnen & Boris Lokshin, 2013. "Impact of external knowledge acquisition strategies on innovation – A comparative study based on Dutch and Swiss panel data," KOF Working papers 13-325, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Capelleras, Joan-Lluis & Mole, Kevin F., 2012. "How ‘buzz’ reduces uncertainty for new firm founders," MPRA Paper 38170, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- José García-Quevedo & Gabriele Pellegrino & Marco Vivarelli, 2011.
"The determinants of YICs’ R&Dactivity,"
2011/31, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Pietro Moncada-Paterno-Castello, 2011. "Companies' growth in the EU: What is research and innovation policy's role?," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-03, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- García-Quevedo, José & Pellegrino, Gabriele & Vivarelli, Marco, 2011. "R&D Drivers in Young Innovative Companies," IZA Discussion Papers 6136, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.