Measurement of the market power of firms: the Japanese case in the 1990s
AbstractThis article presents a new simple econometric framework for the estimation of individual firms' markup over their marginal cost, taking account of firm heterogeneity, demand-driven cyclical price changes, and the limited availability of firm-level information. The framework is applied to study markup of Japanese firms in manufacturing and wholesale/retail trade for 1994--2002. The results indicate that, on average, the Japanese markets become more competitive in the 1990s than before even in non-manufacturing industries. We also find sizable heterogeneity and non-negligible pro-cyclicality in the markup of the Japanese firms. Copyright 2009 The Author 2009. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Associazione ICC. All rights reserved., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlo Altomonte & Marcella Nicolini & Armando Rungi & Laura Ogliari, 2010. "Assessing the Competitive Behaviour of Firms in the Single Market: A Micro-based Approach," European Economy - Economic Papers 409, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Kozo Kiyota & Jacques Mairesse, 2013.
"Product and labor market imperfections and scale economies: Micro-evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands,"
NBER Working Papers
19059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Kozo Kiyota & Jacques Mairesse, 2013. "Product and Labor Market Imperfections and Scale Economies: Micro-Evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-037/VII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sabien DOBBELAERE & KIYOTA Kozo & Jacques MAIRESSE, 2012. "Product and Labor Market Imperfections and Scale Economies: Micro-evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands," Discussion papers 12020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Kiyota, Kozo & Mairesse, Jacques, 2013. "Product and Labor Market Imperfections and Scale Economies: Micro-Evidence on France, Japan and the Netherlands," IZA Discussion Papers 7253, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- T.V.S. Ramamohan Rao, 2012. "Firm Specific Monopoly Power in Differentiated Oligopoly," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 10(1), pages 85-97, January.
- Ana Cristina Soares & João Amador, 2012. "Competition in the Portuguese Economy:An overview of classical indicators," Working Papers w201208, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Flora Bellone & Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta, 2012.
"International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan,"
GREDEG Working Papers
2012-07, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Jan 2014.
- Flora BELLONE & KIYOTA Kozo & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & Patrick MUSSO & Lionel NESTA, 2013. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," Discussion papers 13011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- KIYOTA Kozo, 2010. "Productivity, Markup, Scale Economies, and the Business Cycle: Estimates from firm-level panel data in Japan," Discussion papers 10040, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Pelin Berkmen, 2011. "The Impact of Fiscal Consolidation and Structural Reforms on Growth in Japan," IMF Working Papers 11/13, International Monetary Fund.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2012. "Competition in the Portuguese Economy: a view on tradables and non-tradables," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.