Dynamic capabilities and sustained innovation: strategic control and financial commitment at Rolls-Royce plc
AbstractRolls-Royce plc is currently a powerful competitor in the turbofan engine industry, notwithstanding its own troubled history and the relative lack of international success of British companies in high-technology manufacturing over the past half-century. This paper seeks to contribute to the development of a theory of innovative enterprise by analyzing the roles of strategy and finance in sustaining the innovation process at Rolls-Royce over four decades from the mid-1960s. Through an analysis of 'strategic control' and 'financial commitment' as conditions of innovative enterprise at different stages in Rolls-Royce's evolution, we adduce evidence that innovation depends in part on who strategic managers are and how they gain control over financial resources. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Belloc, Filippo, 2010. "Corporate governance and innovation: an organizational perspective," MPRA Paper 21495, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Crafts, Nicholas & Hughes, Alan, 2014. "Industrial Policy for the Medium to Long-term," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 178, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Claude DUPUY (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Matthieu MONTALBAN (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Sylvain MOURA (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "Finance and Industrial Dynamics (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-24, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Andrea Prencipe & Stefano Brusoni, 2005. "Making Design Rules: A Multi-Domain Perspective," SPRU Working Paper Series 136, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Lazonick, William, 2006. "Corporate Governance, Innovative Enterprise, and Economic Development," Working Paper Series RP2006/71, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kaivanto, Kim & Stoneman, Paul, 2007. "Public provision of sales contingent claims backed finance to SMEs: A policy alternative," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 637-651, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.