Sharing intellectual property rights--an exploratory study of joint patenting amongst companies
AbstractJoint patenting by companies, the sharing of property rights on inventions, is a relatively unknown phenomenon that is generally seen by patent lawyers and firms alike as a second-best option that, if possible, should be avoided. However, the number of joint patents has increased during the last couple of decades and despite its impopularity firms frequently engage in co-ownership of patents. This exploratory study is one of the first contributions that provides insight into relevant, international, legal complications of joint patenting, sectoral trends and patterns and the motivation of companies to enter into these specific patenting agreements. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adams, Pamela & Fontana, Roberto & Malerba, Franco, 2013. "The magnitude of innovation by demand in a sectoral system: The role of industrial users in semiconductors," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-14.
- Harison, Elad & Koski, Heli, 2009. "Organizing High-Tech R&D - Secrets of Successful Innovation Alliances," Discussion Papers, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy 1175, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Weck, Mona & Blomqvist, Kirsimarja, 2008. "The role of inter-organizational relationships in the development of patents: A knowledge-based approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1329-1336, September.
- Antonio Messeni Petruzzelli & Daniele Rotolo & Vito Albino, 2014. "Determinants of Patent Citations in Biotechnology: An Analysis of Patent Influence Across the Industrial and Organizational Boundaries," SPRU Working Paper Series, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex 2014-05, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Brusoni, Stefano & Crespi, Gustavo & Francoz, Dominique & Gambardella, Alfonso & Garcia-Fontes, Walter & Geuna, Aldo & Giuri, Paola & Gonzales, Raul & Harhoff, Dietmar & Hoisl, Karin & LeBas, Christia, 2006.
"Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Inventors (But Never Asked): Evidence from the PatVal-EU Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5752, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Hoisl, Karin, 2006. "Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Inventors (But Never Asked): Evidence from the PatVal-EU Survey," Discussion Papers in Business Administration, University of Munich, Munich School of Management 1261, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Paola Giuri & Myriam Mariani & Stefano Brusoni & Gustavo Crespi & Dominique Francoz & Alfonso Gambardella & Walter Garcia-Fontes & Aldo Geuna & Raul Gonzales & Dietmar Harhoff & Karin Hoisl & Christia, 2005. "Everything you Always Wanted to Know about Inventors (but Never Asked): Evidence from the PatVal-EU Survey," LEM Papers Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy 2005/20, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Fontana, Roberto & Geuna, Aldo, 2009. "The Nature of Collaborative Patenting Activities," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200910, University of Turin.
- Paola Giuri & Alessandra Luzzi, 2005. "Commercialisation Strategies of Technology based European SMEs: Markets for Technology vs. Markets for Products," LEM Papers Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy 2005/08, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Fosfuri, A. & Helmers, C. & Roux, C., 2012. "Are joint patents collusive? Evidence from the US and Europe," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center 2012-035, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Chun-chieh Wang & Mu-hsuan Huang & Dar-zen Chen, 2012. "The Evolution of Knowledge Spillover and Company cluster in Semiconductor Industry," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 109-124, June.
- John P. Walsh & Sadao Nagaoka, 2009. "How ’Open ’ is Innovation in the US and Japan?: Evidence from the RIETI-Georgia Tech inventor survey," Discussion papers, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) 09022, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Sebastien Lechevalier & Yukio Ikeda & Junichi Nishimura, 2006. "Collaborative R&D in the robot technology in Japan: an inquiry based on patent data analysis (1991-2004)," CIRJE F-Series, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo CIRJE-F-453, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Garcia-Canal, Esteban & Valdes-Llaneza, Ana & Sanchez-Lorda, Pablo, 2008. "Technological flows and choice of joint ventures in technology alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 97-114, February.
- Goddard, John Gabriel & Isabelle, Marc, 2007. "Explaining the balance between publications and patents as outputs from public-private collaborative R&D: An empirical study on French data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University 123456789/5016, Paris Dauphine University.
- Belderbos, René & Cassiman, Bruno & Faems, Dries & Leten, Bart & Van Looy, Bart, 2014. "Co-ownership of intellectual property: Exploring the value-appropriation and value-creation implications of co-patenting with different partners," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 841-852.
- Patrick Cohendet & Matthieu Farcot & Julien Pénin, 2009. "Intellectual property in a knowledge-based economy : Patents to include vs. patents to exclude," Working Papers of BETA, Bureau d'Economie ThÃ©orique et AppliquÃ©e, UDS, Strasbourg 2009-15, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.