European Integration and the Changing Structure of EU Manufacturing, 1987-1993
AbstractThis paper reports the results from a project designed to track the evolution of industrial and corporate structure of EU manufacturing alongside the ongoing European integration process. At the heart of the work is the construction of an "EU market share matrix" for 1993. This includes estimates of the turnovers of a set of 300 leading manufacturing firms, disaggregated across nearly 100 industries and then, in turn, across the individual member states. This allows us to estimate the extent of diversification and intra-EU multinationality for each of the firms, and the concentration of producers and measures of geographical concentration for each of the industries. When coupled with a similar matrix for 1987, this provides a rich and detailed mapping of how these structural dimensions have changed with the final stage (so far as the legislation is concerned) of the European single market programme. Our main "headline" findings are that, on average, (i) concentration has remained stable; (ii) multinationality has increased rapidly--both the intra-EU multinationality of European firms and the inward multinationality of non-EU firms; and (iii) diversification has decreased slightly. Copyright 2001 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial & Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pedro Lains, 2006. "Growth in the ‘Cohesion Countries’: the Irish tortoise and the Portuguese hare, 1979-2002," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 37, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- John Goddard & David McMillan & John Wilson, 2006. "Do firm sizes and profit rates converge? Evidence on Gibrat's Law and the persistence of profits in the long run," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 267-278.
- Laura Rondi & Davide Vannoni, 2002. "Firm Diversification in the European Union: New Insights on Return to Core Business and Relatedness," CERIS Working Paper 200208, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Ren� Belderbos & Leo Sleuwaegen & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2010. "Market Integration and Technological Leadership in Europe," European Economy - Economic Papers 403, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Catherine Matraves & Laura Rondi, 2007.
"Product Differentiation, Industry Concentration and Market Share Turbulence,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 37-57.
- Catherine Matraves & Laura Rondi, 2005. "Product Differentiation, Industry Concentration and Market Share Turbulence," CERIS Working Paper 200514, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Michael Peneder, 2003. "Industry Classifications: Aim, Scope and Techniques," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 109-129, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.