Local polynomial fitting and spatial price relationships: price transmission in EU pork markets
AbstractWe study price transmission processes within EU pork markets after the implementation of the EU single market in 1993. We compare results derived from non-parametric regressions with those obtained using alternative non-linear threshold models. Both techniques support the hypothesis that prices are transmitted across spatially separate EU pig markets and provide evidence for asymmetric price adjustments. They also suggest the existence of a range of price differentials where equilibrating price adjustments are less intense. Non-parametric techniques often suggest a higher degree of price transmission than that implied by threshold models. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fousekis, Panos, 2009. "Are Food Prices in the EU Converging? Empirical Evidence from the Log t Test," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(4), pages 407-423.
- Hassouneh, Islam & Radwan, Amr & Serra, Teresa & Gil, José M., 2012. "Food scare crises and developing countries: The impact of avian influenza on vertical price transmission in the Egyptian poultry sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 264-274.
- Panos Fousekis, 2007. "Multiple Markets Within the EU? Empirical Evidence From Pork and Poultry Prices in 14 EU Member Countrties," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(65), pages 1-12.
- Listorti, Giulia & Esposti, Roberto, 2012. "Horizontal Price Transmission in Agricultural Markets: Fundamental Concepts and Open Empirical Issues," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- Hassouneh, Islam & Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria, 2011. "Non-parametric and Parametric Modeling of Biodiesel - Sunflower Oil - Crude Oil Price Relationships," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114554, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gotz, Linde & Qiu, Feng & Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Glauben, Thomas, 2012. "Export Restrictions And Multiple Spatial Price Equilibria When International Prices Spike: Export Quotas For Wheat In Ukraine," 2012: New Rules of Trade?, December 2012, San Diego, California 143179, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Rumankova, Lenka, 2012. "Examination of existence of the law of one price at Czech meat markets," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 4(1), March.
- Ihle, Rico & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "A Comparison of Threshold Cointegration and Markov-Switching Vector Error Correction Models in Price Transmission Analysis," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37603, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Wang, Kuan-Min & Lee, Yuan-Ming & Thi, Thanh-Binh Nguyen, 2011. "Time and place where gold acts as an inflation hedge: An application of long-run and short-run threshold model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 806-819, May.
- Hassouneh, Islam & Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria, 2009. "Price transmission in the Spanish bovine sector: the BSE effect," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50121, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Holst, Carsten & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2012. "Preistransmission Entlang Deutscher Wertschöpfungsketten Für Nahrungsmittel," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137181, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2007:i:65:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.