Agricultural policy uncertainty and farm level adjustments--the case of direct payments and incentives for farmland investment
AbstractA dynamic stochastic business-level land valuation model is derived to analyse how agricultural policy uncertainty regarding reform of the CAP area payment system affects farmland investment incentives. Subjective probability beliefs of Swedish farmers were collected in a survey and used to illustrate the implications of the model. The results show the working of adjustments in current farmland investment incentives triggered by the announcement of agricultural policy programmes linked to farmland. Lack of complete information causes inefficiency by inducing farm operators to over-invest before the reform date if they expect a reform that is likely to reduce their area payment. Policy uncertainty has surprisingly volatile and ambiguous effects on farmland investment incentives. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergo Gomez i Paloma & Vittorio Galerani & Meri Ragi & Davide Viagi & Dimitar Nikolov, 2008. "Methodological Approach for Evaluation ff Investment Behavior of Farmers in Different Development Scenarios," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 5, pages 81-96.
- Tiina Heikkinen, 2005. "Optimal Investment under Uncertainty Regarding Income Subsidies," ERSA conference papers ersa05p656, European Regional Science Association.
- Weerahewa, Jeevika & Meilke, Karl D. & Vyn, Richard J. & Haq, Zahoor Ul, 2008. "The Determinants of Farmland Values in Canada," Working Papers 43461, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- T Heikkinen & K Pietola, 2006. "Rural Investment and the Cost of Income Uncertainty," ERSA conference papers ersa06p51, European Regional Science Association.
- Rizov, Marian & Pokrivcak, Jan & Ciaian, Pavel, 2013. "CAP Subsidies and the Productivity of EU Farms," Factor Markets Working Papers 148, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Heikkinen, Tiina & Pietola, Kyosti, 2006.
"Investment and the Dynamic Cost of Income Uncertainty: the Case of Diminishing Expectations in Agriculture,"
11868, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Heikkinen, T. & Pietola, K., 2009. "Investment and the dynamic cost of income uncertainty: The case of diminishing expectations in agriculture," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 634-646, January.
- Marian Rizov & Jan Pokrivcak & Pavel Ciaian, 2013.
"CAP Subsidies and Productivity of the EU Farms,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 537-557, 09.
- Rizov, Marian & Pokrivcak, Jan & Ciaian, Pavel, 2012. "CAP subsidies and productivity of the EU farms," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 124970, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.