The single-bid restriction on milk quota exchanges
AbstractOn the Danish milk quota exchange each producer can submit a single bid (a quantity and a price limit) only. We demonstrate that this restriction has several distorting effects. First, traders minimise the risk of foregoing profitable trade by submitting their average valuation rather than their marginal valuation of quota. Second, single bids cannot express full demand and supply curves. Therefore, not only the trade volume but also the allocation of quota may be sub-optimal. We evaluate the empirical importance of a single-bid restriction using data from the (multiple-bid) Ontario exchange. The misallocations identified are surprisingly low. This may be due to the character of milk production and the discrete nature of capacity adjustments. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brummer, Bernhard & Loy, Jens-Peter & Requate, Till, 2011.
"Auction Experiments and Simulations of Milk Quota Exchanges,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114377, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Brummer, Bernhard & Loy, Jens-Peter & Requate, Till, 2010. "Auction Experiments and Simulations of Milk Quota Exchanges," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61304, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sauer, Johannes, 2008.
"Quota Deregulation and Organic versus Conventional Milk – A Bayesian Distance Function Approach,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6425, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sauer, Johannes, 2008. "Quota Deregulation and Organic versus Conventional Milk – A Bayesian Distance Function Approach," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36869, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Johannes Sauer, 2010. "Deregulation and dairy production systems: a Bayesian distance function approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 213-237, December.
- Peter Bogetoft & Kurt Nielsen, 2010. "Efficient and Confidential Reallocation of Contracts: How The Danish Sugar Industry Adapted to The New Sugar Regime," MSAP Working Paper Series 07_2010, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.