Agricultural trade and the Barcelona Process: is full liberalisation possible?
AbstractThe Barcelona Process has so far avoided full inclusion of agricultural trade in the Euro-Mediterranean Free Trade Area (EMFTA). Given the importance of agriculture in Mediterranean countries, an end to the agricultural exception would give an opportunity for the Southern Mediterranean Countries (SMCs) to reduce the adjustment costs of 'reciprocity' in bilateral trade with the European Union (EU). This paper reviews the measures that constrain the intra-regional agricultural trade. Southern European fears of the Mediterranean integration relate to 'North--South' asymmetries, including imbalances of Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) support among the EU regions. Rural development appears to be compatible with co-operative strategies to remove the political inertia regarding full introduction of agriculture in the Barcelona Process. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2008. "How effective is the EU Entry Price System for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables?," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44063, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Giovanni Anania, 2007. "Multilateral trade negotiations, preferential trade agreements and European Union’s agricultural policies," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, July.
- Kavallari, Aikaterini & Schmitz, P. Michael, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of Agricultural Trade Policies in the Mediterranean Basin - Regional Effects on the EU Member States," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2007. "The Relevance of the EU Entry Price System for Imports of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables," Working Papers 7114, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Konstadinos Mattas & George Baourakis & Konstantinos Galanopoulos & Fatima El hadad Gauthier & Etienne Montaigne & Michel Petit & Hilel HAMADACHE & Ibrahim Soliman & Ahmed Mashhour & Mohamed Gaber & A, 2012. "A review of the national and international agro-food policies and institutions in the Mediterranean Region [Synthesis]," Working Papers 180949, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Garcia Alvarez-Coque, Jose-Maria & Martinez-Gomez, Victor & Villanueva, Miquel, 2007. "Trade Model to Assess Euro-Med Agreements. An Application to the Fresh Tomato Market," Working Papers 7281, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Garcia-Alvarez-Coque, Jose Maria & Martí-Selva, Maria-Luis, 2006.
"A Gravity Approach to Assess the Effects of Association Agreements on Euromediterranean Trade of Fruits and Vegetables,"
4124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Selva, Maria Luisa Marti & Garcia Alvarez-Coque, Jose-Maria, 2006. "A Gravity Approach to Assess the Effects of Association Agreements on Euromediterranean Trade of Fruits and Vegetables," Working Papers 18874, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Gonzalo Escribano, 2006. "Europeanisation without Europe? The Mediterranean and the Neighbourhood Policy," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 19, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Anania, Giovanni, 2007. "Multilateral Negotiations, Preferential Trade Agreements and the CAP. What's Ahead?," Working Papers 7283, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Grethe, Harald & Nolte, Stephan & Tangermann, Stefan, 2005. "The Development and Future of EU Agricultural Trade Preferences for North-African and Near-East Countries," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24535, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Crescenzo dell'Aquila & Marijke Kuiper, 2003. "Which Road to Liberalization? A first assessment of the EuroMed association agreements," ENARPRI Working Papers 002, ENARPRI (European Network of Agricultural and Rural Policy Research Institutes).
- Cioffi, Antonio & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Vitale, Cosimo, 2009. "The Price Stabilisation Effects of the EU import regime of fruit and vegetables: the case of tomatoes," MPRA Paper 25718, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nilsson, Fredrik O.L. & Lindberg, Emma & Surry, Yves R., 2006. "Are the Mediterranean countries competitive in fresh fruit and vegetable exports?," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10063, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Charlotte Emlinger & Florence Jacquet & Emmanuelle Chevassus Lozza, 2008. "Tariffs and other trade costs: assessing obstacles to Mediterranean countries' access to EU-15 fruit and vegetable markets," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 409-438, December.
- Kuiper, Marijke H. & Dell'Aquila, Crescenzo, 2004. "Euro-Mediterranean Partnership; State Of Affairs And Key Policy And Research Issues," Report Series 29122, Agricultural Economics Research Institute.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio & Vitale, Cosimo Damiano, 1. "A Threshold-Var Approach To Assess The Efficacy Of The Eu Import Regime," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(1).
- Giulio Malorgio & Cristina Grazia, 2013. "La performance della filiera ortofrutticola di esportazione dei Paesi Terzi del Mediterraneo nel mercato europeo: tra concorrenza e cooperazione," ECONOMIA AGRO-ALIMENTARE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 15(1), pages 73-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.