True state dependence and heterogeneity in off-farm labour participation
AbstractThis paper discusses models of off-farm labour participation estimated with panel data. With this kind of model, unexplained persistence in a labour state may be due to true state dependence (when a previous state modifies attitudes, constraints or parameters) and/or to heterogeneity (unobservable permanent individual characteristics). Probit models assuming either heterogeneity or true state dependence are estimated from a two-period panel survey of Pennsylvania farms, and compared with cross-section or pooled sample models. Statistical tests to infer the source of persistence are proposed. The results suggest that for Pennsylvania farmers and spouses, in addition to other personal, household and farm characteristics found to be important in previous studies, previous off-farm labour state is relevant in off-farm labour participation decisions. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Xiaobing, 2007. "Labor market behavior of Chinese rural households during transition," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 42, number 92321, July.
- Ahituv, Avner & Kimhi, Ayal, 2002. "Off-farm work and capital accumulation decisions of farmers over the life-cycle: the role of heterogeneity and state dependence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 329-353, August.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Paudel, Krishna P., 2008. "Policy Reform and Off-farm Labor Supply by Operators in the Delta Region: A," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6725, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Tocco,Barbara & Bailey, Alastair & Davidova, Sophia, 2013. "The Reallocation of Agricultural Labour across Sectors: An Empirical Strategy for Micro Data," Factor Markets Working Papers 157, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Key Issues in Agricultural Labour Markets: A Review of Major Studies and Project Reports on Agriculture and Rural Labour Markets," Factor Markets Working Papers 126, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Stephan Brosig & Thomas Glauben & Thomas Herzfeld & Scott Rozelle & Xiaobing Wang, 2007.
"The dynamics of Chinese rural households' participation in labor markets,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 167-178, 09.
- Glauben, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & Wang, Xiaobing, 2006. "The Dynamics of Chinese Rural Households' Participation in Labor Markets," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25751, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lien, Gudbrand D. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 2008. "Determinants Of Part-Time Farming And Its Effect On Farm Productivity And Efficiency," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6701, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bjornsen, Hild-Marte, 1999. "Off-farm labour decisions of Norwegian farm Households," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa025, European Regional Science Association.
- Findeis, Jill L., 2002. "Subjective Equilibrium Theory of the Farm Household: Theory Revisited and New Directions," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15723, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Cornilius Chikwama, 2004. "Rural Off-Farm Employment and Farm Investment: An Analytical Framework and Evidence from Zimbabwe," CERT Discussion Papers 0403, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Lagerkvist, Carl Johan & Larsen, Karin & Olson, Kent D., 2006. "Off-farm income and farm capital accumulation: a farm-level data analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21480, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kaditi, Eleni, 2013. "The Impact of CAP Reforms on Farm Labour Structure," Factor Markets Working Papers 177, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Biørn, Erik & Bjørnsen, Hild-Marte, 2013. "What Motivates Farm Couples to Seek Off-farm Labour? A Logit Analysis of Job Transitions," Memorandum 09/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Vergara, Oscar & Coble, Keith H. & Patrick, George F. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2004. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor by Limited-Resource Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(02), August.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2012. "Labour Adjustments In Agriculture: Evidence From Romania," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139503, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cornilius Chikawama, 2004. "Quota Rural Off-Farm Employment and Farm Investment: An Analytical Framework and Evidence from Zimbabwe," Working Papers E04, Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Supply and Demand Side Limitations Affecting the Structure of Agriculture and the Rural Economy," Factor Markets Working Papers 124, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Roslan ABDUL-HAKIM & Siti Hadijah CHE-MAT, 2011. "Determinants of Farmers Participation in Off-Farm Employment: A Case Study in Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(2), pages 27-37, December.
- Gundersen, Craig, 2002. "The Well-Being and the Decisions of Farm Households: The Uses of Cross-Country Comparisons," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15724, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Luka Juvančič & Emil Erjavec, 2005.
"Intertemporal analysis of employment decisions on agricultural holdings in Slovenia,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 153-161, 09.
- Juvancic, Luka & Erjavec, Emil, 2003. "Intertemporal Analysis Of Employment Decisions On Agricultural Holdings In Slovenia," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25840, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- BROSIG, Stephan & GLAUBEN, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & WANG, Xiaobing, 2009. "Persistence of full- and part-time farming in Southern China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 360-371, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.