True state dependence and heterogeneity in off-farm labour participation
AbstractThis paper discusses models of off-farm labour participation estimated with panel data. With this kind of model, unexplained persistence in a labour state may be due to true state dependence (when a previous state modifies attitudes, constraints or parameters) and/or to heterogeneity (unobservable permanent individual characteristics). Probit models assuming either heterogeneity or true state dependence are estimated from a two-period panel survey of Pennsylvania farms, and compared with cross-section or pooled sample models. Statistical tests to infer the source of persistence are proposed. The results suggest that for Pennsylvania farmers and spouses, in addition to other personal, household and farm characteristics found to be important in previous studies, previous off-farm labour state is relevant in off-farm labour participation decisions. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tocco,Barbara & Bailey, Alastair & Davidova, Sophia, 2013. "The Reallocation of Agricultural Labour across Sectors: An Empirical Strategy for Micro Data," Factor Markets Working Papers 157, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- BROSIG, Stephan & GLAUBEN, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & WANG, Xiaobing, 2009. "Persistence of full- and part-time farming in Southern China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 360-371, June.
- Lagerkvist, Carl Johan & Larsen, Karin & Olson, Kent D., 2006. "Off-farm income and farm capital accumulation: a farm-level data analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21480, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Key Issues in Agricultural Labour Markets: A Review of Major Studies and Project Reports on Agriculture and Rural Labour Markets," Factor Markets Working Papers 126, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Ahituv, Avner & Kimhi, Ayal, 2002. "Off-farm work and capital accumulation decisions of farmers over the life-cycle: the role of heterogeneity and state dependence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 329-353, August.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Supply and Demand Side Limitations Affecting the Structure of Agriculture and the Rural Economy," Factor Markets Working Papers 124, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Lien, Gudbrand D. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 2008. "Determinants Of Part-Time Farming And Its Effect On Farm Productivity And Efficiency," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6701, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Glauben, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & Wang, Xiaobing, 2006.
"The Dynamics of Chinese Rural Households' Participation in Labor Markets,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25751, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stephan Brosig & Thomas Glauben & Thomas Herzfeld & Scott Rozelle & Xiaobing Wang, 2007. "The dynamics of Chinese rural households' participation in labor markets," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 167-178, 09.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2012. "Labour Adjustments In Agriculture: Evidence From Romania," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139503, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gundersen, Craig, 2002. "The Well-Being and the Decisions of Farm Households: The Uses of Cross-Country Comparisons," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15724, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Roslan ABDUL-HAKIM & Siti Hadijah CHE-MAT, 2011. "Determinants of Farmers Participation in Off-Farm Employment: A Case Study in Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(2), pages 27-37, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.