A Safety-First Approach to Dynamic Cropping Decisions
AbstractA risk-sensitive optimal flexible cropping plan for spring barley in southeastern Washington state is identified by stochastic dynamic programming. State transformation equations are determined from data generated by a process simulation model. Katoaka's safety-first criterion is proposed as an operational procedure for discounting payoff values for differential riskiness. Stronger short-run risk aversion leads to the use of more conservative optimal flexcrop strategies which require higher threshold spring soil moisture levels for cropping. The dynamically optimal barley flexcrop strategies generate similar expected net returns but decrease soil less relative to a fixed winter wheat-fallow rotation; however, annual income risk increases. Copyright 1997 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaplan, Jonathan D., 2001. "Prevention Versus Utilization Of Excess Nutrients From Animal Feeding Operations:The Case Of Managing Nutrient Uncertainty," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20533, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sattinger, Michael, 2011.
"The Markov consumption problem,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 409-416.
- Tadesse, Dawit & Blank, Steven C., 2003. "Cultivar Diversity: A Neglected Risk Management Strategy," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Upadhyay, Bharat Mani & Smith, Elwin G. & Clayton, George & Harker, Neil, 2004. "Risk Efficiency Of Alternate Canola Management Decisions," NAREA-CAES Conference, June 20-23, 2004, Halifax, Nova Scotia 34193, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society;Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association.
- Blank, Steven C. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Moss, Charles B., 2005. "Profit Patterns Across American Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.