Economic Impacts of Isoglucose Deregulation on the European Sweetener Market
AbstractThe EU sweetener market is highly regulated. In particular, production of isoglucose, the main competitor of sugar, is limited to about two percent of the sugar quota. Using a product differentiation model and game theory, we develop a normative analysis of the sweetener market and analyse the potential impact of the liberalisation of isoglucose production. We show that use of isoglucose in the EU would be a smaller percentage of total sweetener use than it is in the United States. We also demonstrate that such a liberalisation could not increase welfare if it is not accompanied by a reduction in the sugar quota. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Céline Bonnet & Vincent Requillart, 2011.
"Does the EU sugar policy reform increase added sugar consumption? An empirical evidence on the soft drink market,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(9), pages 1012-1024, 09.
- Bonnet, Céline & Réquillart, Vincent, 2010. "Does the EU Sugar Policy Reform Increase Added Sugar Consumption? An Empirical Evidence on the Soft Drink Market," IDEI Working Papers 641, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bonnet, Céline & Réquillart, Vincent, 2010. "Does the EU Sugar Policy Reform Increase Added Sugar Consumption? An Empirical Evidence on the Soft Drink Market," TSE Working Papers 10-197, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Vincent Réquillart & Éric Giraud-Héraud & Patricia Combette, 1997. "La politique sucrière européenne après les accords du Gatt," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 127(1), pages 1-13.
- Bonnet, Celine & Requillart, Vincent, 2010. "Is The Eu Sugar Policy Reform Likely To Increase Obesity?," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116414, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lavoie, Nathalie, 2001. "Price Discrimination In The Context Of Vertical Differentiation: A Modeling Approach For Wheat Exports," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20603, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.