The Impact of Borrowing Constraints on Farm Households: A Life-Cycle Approach
AbstractThis paper examines the potential impact of borrowing constraints on farm households. Using an adaptation of a life-cycle model of the farm household, two types of borrowing constraints are investigated. The first type of constraint, restrictions on the ratio of total debt to farm value added, reflects the possibility that financial institutions restrict lending on the basis of current farm profitability. The second type, restrictions on the debt to asset ratio, reflects the possibility that loans must be secured against assets. These two versions of the model are analysed and then simulated for a set of Dutch dairy farms. From the results it was found that, whilst the impact of such constraints does not appear to be affected by farm size, the proportion of land owned was a factor in determining which farms were likely to be borrowing-constrained. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harris, James Michael & Dillard, John & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Hallahan, Charles B., 2009. "Changes in Debt Patterns and Financial Structure of Farm Businesses: A Double Hurdle Approach," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49402, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lagerkvist, Carl Johan & Olson, Kent D., 2001. "Asymmetric Information, Capital Structure And Agricultural Investment," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20652, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lagerkvist, Carl Johan & Olson, Kent D., 2002. "Optimal Capital Structure And Income Support Reform Uncertainty," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19694, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Josep M. Argilés, 1998. "Accounting information and the prediction of farm viability," Economics Working Papers 277, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Harris, James Michael & Blank, Steven C. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Hallahan, Charles B., 2010. "Off-farm Income and Investments in Farm Assets: A Double Hurdle Approach," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61531, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.