U.S. Narrow Money for the Twenty-First Century
AbstractThis study focuses on sweep programs in establishing conceptually appropriate and reliable measures of narrow money. We propose the aggregates M1RS = M1 + holdings of funds swept in retail sweep programs, and M1S = M1RS + holdings of funds swept in commercial demand deposit sweep programs. Based on quarterly observations from 1959:1--2002:4, cointegration tests indicate the existence of long-run relationships between the velocity of M1S and the corresponding opportunity cost of holding money, using either short-term or long-term interest rates. Tests find weaker evidence for M1RS and little support for MZM. (JEL E41, G21) Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 44 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2007.
"On the Welfare Cost of Inflation and the Recent Behavior of Money Demand,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
662, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2009. "On the Welfare Cost of Inflation and the Recent Behavior of Money Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 1040-52, June.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2008. "On the Welfare Cost of Inflation and the Recent Behavior of Money Demand," NBER Working Papers 14098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H. & VanHoose, David D., 2013. "Interest on reserves, unregulated interest on demand deposits, and optimal sweeping," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 38(PB), pages 192-202.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H. & VanHoose, David D., 2011. "Interest on bank reserves and optimal sweeping," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2491-2497, September.
- Richard G. Anderson & Barry Jones, 2011. "A comprehensive revision of the U.S. monetary services (divisia) indexes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 325-360.
- Rasmus Ruffer & Livio Stracca, 2007.
"What is global excess liquidity, and does it matter?,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
120, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Rüffer, Rasmus & Stracca, Livio, 2006. "What is global excess liquidity, and does it matter?," Working Paper Series 0696, European Central Bank.
- Alessandro Calza & Andrea Zaghini, 2011.
"Sectoral money demand and the great disinflation in the US,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
785, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Calza, Alessandro & Zaghini, Andrea, 2010. "Sectoral money demand and the great disinflation in the US," Working Paper Series 1218, European Central Bank.
- Elger, Thomas & Jones, Barry E. & Nilsson, Birger, 2006. "Forecasting with Monetary Aggregates: Recent Evidence for the United States," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(5-6), pages 428-446.
- Elger, Thomas & Jones, Barry E., 2008. "Can rejections of weak separability be attributed to random measurement errors in the data?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 44-47, April.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2008. "A note on "Inflation and Welfare"," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1984-1987, September.
- Binner, J.M. & Tino, P. & Tepper, J. & Anderson, R. & Jones, B. & Kendall, G., 2010.
"Does money matter in inflation forecasting?,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4793-4808.
- Barry Z. Cynamon & Donald H. Dutkowsky & Barry E. Jones, 2006. "Redefining the Monetary Agggregates: A Clean Sweep," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 661-672, Fall.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.