ASCAP Versus BMI (Versus CBS): Modeling Competition between and Bundling by Performance Rights Organizations
AbstractBuilding has been a long-standing issue in industrial organization. In recent years, bundling has gained renewed controversy as it has been employed by computer software manufacturers. This article examines BMI v. CBS (1979), which dealt with bundling by performance rights organizations (PROs). A model of competition between PROs using blanket licenses is presented. The usage of blanket licenses is shown to generate both higher profits for PROs and higher costs for the users of musical compositions when there are a small number of competing PROs. In addition, the model explains why blanket licenses are observed in unregulated PRO markets. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 38 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aoki, Reiko & Schiff, Aaron, 2007.
"Intellectual Property Clear inghouses: The Effects of Reduced Transaction Costs in Licensing,"
Discussion Paper Series
a495, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Aoki, Reiko & Schiff, Aaron, 2010. "Intellectual property clearinghouses: The effects of reduced transaction costs in licensing," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 218-227, July.
- Aoki, Reiko & Schiff, Aaron, 2007. "Intellectual Property Clearinghouses: The Effects of Reduced Transaction Costs in Licensing," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 335, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Aoki, Reiko & Schiff, Aaron, 2008. "Intellectual Property Clearinghouses: The Effects of Reduced Transaction Costs in Licensing," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 359, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.