Institutional Change and the Velocity of Money: A Century of Evidence
AbstractThe authors study common features in the income velocity of money, income, and interest rates for Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Sweden, and Norway using annual data from 1870. The recently developed and refined techniques of testing for cointegration are employed. The evidence suggests there is a unique long-run relationship in velocity but not in income and interest rates. Moreover, the authors find that only a model which includes institutional change proxies is properly specified. They argue that the evidence is best interpreted in the context of common historical developments in the respective countries' financial systems. Copyright 1997 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 35 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfred A. Haug, 2002. "Canadian Money Demand Functions Cointegration¨CRank Stability," Working Papers 2002_10, York University, Department of Economics.
- Javier Gómez P., 1998. "La Demanda Por Dinero En Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002969, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso & Luis Fernando Melo velandia, 1999.
"La Inflación Desde Una Perspectiva Monetaria : Un Modelo P* Para Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003028, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas & Enrique López & Luis Fernando Melo, . "La Inflación desde una Perspectiva Monetaria: Un Modelo P* para Colombia," Borradores de Economia 133, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Rockoff, Hugh & White, Eugene N., 2012. "Monetary Regimes and Policy on a Global Scale: The Oeuvre of Michael D. Bordo," MPRA Paper 49672, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2013.
- Aaron Mehrotra, 2008.
"Demand for Money in Transition: Evidence from China’s Disinflation,"
International Advances in Economic Research,
Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 36-47, February.
- Mehrotra, Aaron, 2006. "Demand for money in transition: Evidence from China's disinflation," BOFIT Discussion Papers 10/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Mark Holmes, 2000. "The Velocity of Circulation: Some new evidence on international integration," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 449-459.
- Nidia Ruth Reyes & José Eduardo Gómez González, 2001. "Estimacion de la demanda transaccional de dinero en Colombia," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 54, pages 115-131, Enero Jun.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.