A Search-Matching Model of the Buyer--Seller Platforms
AbstractBased on the frictional matching framework, the article provides a theoretical model for a specific type of two-sided platform: the buyer--seller transaction platform. In the model, the number of participants and the source of network externalities are endogeneously determined. The platform is shown to exhibit both positive cross-group and negative within-group network externalities. The optimal pricing of the platform depends not only on the cost of providing service and the benefits of the participants, but also on how the marginal entrant (either a buyer or a seller) affects the matching probability. Since the sellers can shift the burden of entry fee to the buyers, the platform never subsidizes the sellers. (JEL codes: L11, D83) Copyright The Author 2012. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Ifo Institute, Munich. All rights reserved. For permissions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CESifo in its journal CESifo Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 58 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://cesifo.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Chen, Kong-Pin & Yen-Chi, Huang, 2009. "A search-matching model of the buyer-seller platforms," MPRA Paper 38372, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Dec 2011.
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, and Operations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fudenberg, Drew & Ellison, Glenn, 2003.
"Knife-Edge or Plateau: When Do Market Models Tip?,"
3160493, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg, 2003. "Knife Edge of Plateau: When Do Market Models Tip?," NBER Working Papers 9528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg, 2003. "Knife-Edge or Plateau: When do Market Models Tip?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000098, David K. Levine.
- Andrea Galeotti & José Luis Moraga Gonzales, 2008.
"Platform Intermediation in a Market for Differentiated Products,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2266, CESifo Group Munich.
- Galeotti, Andrea & Moraga-González, José Luis, 2009. "Platform intermediation in a market for differentiated products," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 417-428, May.
- Andrea Galeotti & Jose Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2008. "Platform Intermediation in a Market for Differentiated Products," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-020/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Rochet, Jean Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2008.
"Tying in two-sided markets and the honor all cards rule,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1333-1347, November.
- Rochet, Jean Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2007. "Tying-in Two-Sided Markets and the Honour All Cards Rule," CEPR Discussion Papers 6132, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2006. "Tying in Two-Sided Markets and the Honor All Cards Rule," IDEI Working Papers 440, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2007.
- Ambrus, Attila & Argenziano, Rossella, 2009.
"Asymmetric Networks in Two-Sided Markets,"
3204916, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg & Markus Mobius, 2010.
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000092, David K. Levine.
- Mobius, Markus & Fudenberg, Drew & Ellison, Glenn, 2004. "Competing Auctions," Scholarly Articles 3043414, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Glenn Allison & Drew Fudenberg, 2002. "Competing Auctions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1960, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ellison, Glenn & Fudenberg, Drew & Mobius, Markus, 2010. "Competing Auctions," Staff General Research Papers 32106, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marc Rysman, 2009. "The Economics of Two-Sided Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 125-43, Summer.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "A Price Theory of Multi-sided Platforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1642-72, September.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A Study of the Market for Yellow Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512.
- Kenneth Burdett & Shouyong Shi & Randall Wright, 2001. "Pricing and Matching with Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 1060-1085, October.
- Graeme Guthrie & Julian Wright, 2003. "Competing Payment Schemes," Departmental Working Papers wp0311, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Andrei Hagiu, 2009. "Two-Sided Platforms: Product Variety and Pricing Structures," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1011-1043, December.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2006. "Two-Sided Markets: A Progress Report," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Armstrong, M., 2006. "Competition in two-sided markets," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A�Study of the Market for Yellow�Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512, 04.
- Jullien, Bruno, 2008. "Price Skewness and Competition in Multi-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 504, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:668-691 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.