Size and linkages of the Spanish construction industry: key sector or deformation of the economy?
AbstractUntil its recent end, the Spanish construction industry enjoyed a decade of unprecedented growth, absorbing labour and capital from other sectors of the economy in huge amounts. Using the input--output methodology, we compare the picture for different countries in order to seek patterns and identify possible distortions associated with the extraordinary growth of the construction sector in Spain. We find that the sector is plainly oversized in Spain in comparison to its closest benchmarks, namely a group of OECD advanced economies. The available input--output data for Spain, covering several years, also provide evidence of a process of 'deformation' of the economy. On this basis, we provide an initial estimate of the impact a hypothetical adjustment in the industry would have on total income and employment in the economy. Copyright The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Cambridge Political Economy Society. All rights reserved., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kapelko, Magdalena & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2012. "Assessing dynamic efficiency of the Spanish construction sector pre- and post-financial crisis," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135790, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schmidt, Christoph M & Weigert, Benjamin, 2013.
"Weathering the crisis and beyond: Perspectives for the Euro Area,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9414, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christoph Schmidt & Benjamin Weigert, 2013. "Weathering the crisis and beyond: perspectives for the Euro area," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 564-595, August.
- Christoph M. Schmidt & Benjammin Weigert, 2013. "Weathering the Crisis and Beyond: Perspectives for the Euro Area," Ruhr Economic Papers 0409, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- López, Luis Antonio & Arce, Guadalupe & Zafrilla, Jorge Enrique, 2013. "Parcelling virtual carbon in the pollution haven hypothesis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 177-186.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.