Labour market deregulation, 'flexibility' and innovation
AbstractLabour 'flexibility' is often portrayed as important to competitive success. Using evidence from an original survey of UK firms, this paper investigates the relationships between firms' use of, on the one hand, various flexible work practices, human resource management techniques, and industrial relations systems and, on the other hand, the innovative activities of those firms. Our results suggest that the sort of 'low road' labour flexibility practices encouraged by labour market deregulation--short-term and temporary contracts, a lack of employer commitment to job security, low levels of training, and so on--are negatively correlated with innovation. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michele Battisti & Filippo Belloc & Massimo Del Gatto, 2012.
"Unbundling Technology Adoption and TFP at the Firm Level. Do Intangibles Matter?,"
Working Paper Series
71_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- M. Battisti & F. Belloc & M. Del Gatto, 2012. "Unbundling technology adoption and tfp at the firm level. Do intangibles matter?," Working Paper CRENoS 201233, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Michele Battisti & Filippo Belloc & Massimo Del Gatto, 2012. "Unbundling Technology Adoption and tfp at the Firm Level. Do Intangibles Matter?," Working Papers 2012.98, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Angelo Reati & Jan Toporowski, 2009.
"An economic policy for the fifth long wave,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 62(248-251), pages 143-186.
- Mirella Damiani & Andrea Ricci, 2011. "Decentralised bargaining and performance related pay: new evidence from a panel of Italian firms," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 97/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Luca Pieroni & Fabrizio Pompei, 2008.
"Evaluating innovation and labour market relationships: the case of Italy,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 325-347, March.
- Luca Pieroni & Fabrizio Pompei, 2007. "Evaluating Innovation and Labour Market Relationships: The Case of Italy," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 28/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Luca Pieroni & Fabrizio Pompei, 2005. "Innovations and Labour Market Institutions: An Empirical Analysis of the Italian Case in the middle 90’s," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 12/2005, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Mirella Damiani & Fabrizio Pompei & Andrea Ricci, 2012.
"Labour Shares and Employment Protection in European Economies,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
111/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Damiani, Mirella & Pompei, Fabrizio & Ricci, Andrea, 2012. "Labour share and employment protection in European economies," MPRA Paper 43058, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yılmaz Kılıçaslan & Erol Taymaz, 2008. "Labor market institutions and industrial performance: an evolutionary study," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 477-492, August.
- Annalisa Cristini & Alessandro Gaj & Riccardo Leoni, 2008. "Direct and Indirect Complementarity between Workplace Reorganization and New Technology," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 98(2), pages 87-117, March-Apr.
- Santiago, Fernando & Alcorta, Ludovico, 2012. "Human resource management for learning through knowledge exploitation and knowledge exploration: Pharmaceuticals in Mexico," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 530-546.
- Erol Taymaz & Sule Ozler, 2004. "Labor Market Policies and EU Accession: Problems and Prospects for Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0405, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.