What Caused Earnings Inequality to Increase in Canada during the 1980s?
AbstractWhile broad consensus exists that earnings inequality increased in Canada during the 1980s, as in other industrialised countries, there is little agreement about the causes. The main contribution of this paper is the simultaneous, empirical examination of eight hypotheses of increased earnings inequality, using multivariate regression analysis, namely: the decline in unionisation, minimum wages and industrialisation, as well as the increase in unemployment, trade, relative supply of university-educated workers and relative supply of female workers, and technological change. In Canada, during the 1980s, employment and unionisation factors strongly and consistently explain the increase in annual earnings and hourly wage-rate inequality, after controlling for six other possible determinants. The results also point to the importance of considering a multidimensional explanation of increased earnings inequality and avoiding generalisations across gender, income and work status groups. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cortez, Willy W., 2001. "What is Behind Increasing Wage Inequality in Mexico?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1905-1922, November.
- Naderi, A. & Mace, J., 2003. "Education and earnings: a multilevel analysis: A case study of the manufacturing sector in Iran," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 143-156, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.