The Relevance of the Marshallian Concept of Normality in Interior and Inertial Dynamics as Revisited by Shackle and Kornai
AbstractThis study endeavors to explicate the relevance of the Marshallian concept of normality in the evolution of supply curves and the price mechanism in time. This concept is based on the contradictory, or at least ambiguous, combination of an ex ante perspective of expectation formation and an ex post inertial dynamics. The author first explores the ex ante side of the contradiction by drawing upon the writings of Shackle. Subsequently, he examines Kornai's conception of the normal state as system-specific. The author identifies the relationship between normality and the coordination mechanism in Kornai's ex post approach which may be regarded as an alternative to Shackle's solution. Finally, the pertinence of the Marshallian concept of normality will be demonstrated, as will its divergent developments by Shackle and Kornai. This leads us to the conclusion that a further development of the concept is required in order to reconcile both ex ante and ex post approaches; this might be based on recent evolutionary analysis. Copyright 1998 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1998)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mehrdad Vahabi, 2001.
"The Soft Budget Constraint: A Theoretical Clarification,"
- Mehrdad VAHABI, 2001. "The Soft Budget Constraint : A Theoretical Clarification," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Vahabi, Mehrdad, 2002. "The Soft Budget Constraint: An Institutionalist Approach," MPRA Paper 17649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.