The Myth (or Folly) of the 3 Percent Deficit/GDP Maastricht 'Parameter.'
AbstractA relation is presented defining the boundary, algebraically and geometrically, to the sustainability area of public finance. The relation (and area) involve three magnitudes: deficit/GDP, debt/GDP, and rate of growth. It is shown that the parameters stated in the famous Annex to the Maastricht Treaty (60 percent for the debt/GDP ratio and 3 percent for the deficit/GDP ratio) represent only one particular point on the above mentioned boundary relation to the sustainability area. There exists an infinite number of other points sharing the same characteristics. On the basis of the OECD data referring to the end of 1996, it is shown that all major European countries find themselves outside the sustainability area, except Belgium and Italy, i.e., exactly the opposite of what is widely believed to be the case in current discussions. Copyright 1998 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Debts and deficits: why a string of deficits does not necessarily spell the end of the world
by Graham White, Associate Professor, School of Economics at University of Sydney in The Conversation on 2013-05-09 02:35:25
- Pica, Federico & Villani, Salvatore, 2012.
"Debito, Mezzogiorno e sviluppo. A trivial exercise
[Sovereign Debt Sustainability, Mezzogiorno and Economic Growth. A Trivial Exercise]," MPRA Paper 43199, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 28 Nov 2012.
- Kurt W. Rothschild, 2001. "Ach Europa: Einige kritische polit-ökonomische Notizen zum Thema "Europa"," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 1-14, 02.
- Kowalski, Tadeusz, 2012. "The economic and monetary union countries vs. the global crisis," MPRA Paper 37942, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.