Internal Cooperation and Competitive Success: The Case of the U.S. Steel Minimill Sector
AbstractSince the 1960s, American steel minimills have captured markets once dominated by the American integrated steel producers. This article argues that the minimills' competitive success is due in part to their ability to cultivate and sustain flexible and participative internal labor market and industrial relations systems. They have accomplished this by reducing internal sources of conflict among plant-level workers and managers through the absence, reduction, or elimination of factors contributing to their vulnerability to higher-level decisions. The sector's market success has permitted the institutionalization of chosen strategies and structures, and reinforced the virtues circle of convergent interests, internal accord, organizational responsiveness, and product market success. (c) 1995 Academic Press, Ltd. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Suzanne Konzelmann & Neil Conway & Linda Trenberth & Frank Wilkinson, 2005. "Corporate governance, stake-holding and the nature of employment relations within the firm," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp313, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Siroën, Jean-Marc, . "Choix de la politique commerciale dans le cas de la concurrence imparfaite," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6629, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.