Science, High Technology and the Competitiveness of EU Countries
AbstractHigh technology is not a well-defined issue in economics. In this paper, it is divided into very high R&D-intensive, so-called 'leading-edge', and 'high-level' technology, i.e. above-average R&D-intensive products. The similarity of exports and imports in both subdivisions of high technology is compared between the EU countries. By linking trade data on high technology with other indicators of disembodied knowledge, such as scientific publications and patents, it is shown that very R&D-intensive competition needs more science inputs than does high-level technology. As industrial property expressed by patents is an important prerequisite for above-average R&D-intensive trade, though less so for leading-edge technology, the policy conclusions point to the importance of non-uniformity in high-tech Europe. (c) 1995 Academic Press, Inc. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George M. Korres & Stylianos Drakopoulos, 2009. "Economics of Innovation: A Review in Theory and Models," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 25-38.
- Faruk Aydin & Hulya Saygili & Mesut Saygili & Gokhan Yilmaz, 2010. "Dis Ticarette Kuresel Egilimler ve Turkiye Ekonomisi," Working Papers 1001, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Zelal Kotan & Serdar Sayan, 2001. "A Comparison Of The Price Competitiveness Of Turkish And South East Asian Exports In The European Union Market In The 1990s," Discussion Papers 0102, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Godin, Benoit, 2004. "The obsession for competitiveness and its impact on statistics: the construction of high-technology indicators," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1217-1229, October.
- Grupp, Hariolf & Schmoch, Ulrich, 1999. "Patent statistics in the age of globalisation: new legal procedures, new analytical methods, new economic interpretation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 377-396, April.
- Faruk Aydin & Hulya Saygili & Mesut Saygili, 2007. "Empirical Analysis of Structural Change in Turkish Exports," Working Papers 0708, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.