Poverty, Agricultural Production and Prices in Rural India--A Reformulation
AbstractThe empirical analysis at the all-India level demonstrates that, while the level of agricultural production and rural poverty were inversely related, unanticipated consumer price increases aggravated rural poverty. Whether the advent of the new agricultural technology in the late 1960s altered the relationships in question is also considered. During the new technology phase, the coefficient of agricultural production ceased to be significant, while that of unanticipated price changes continued to be significant. Rationalization of the absence of a significant (inverse) relationship between rural poverty and agricultural production at the state-level, in terms of distress migration between neighboring states, is questioned and an alternative explanation is provided. Copyright 1989 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Suryanarayana, M.H., 2002. "Poverty in India: Misspecified Policies and Estimates," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Singh, A & Tabatabai H, 1992. "World economic crisis and third world agriculture: the changing role of agriculture in economic development," ILO Working Papers 286955, International Labour Organization.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2000. "Prices, wages and poverty in rural India: what lessons do the time series data hold for policy?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 351-364, June.
- Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2003. "Millennium Development Goals, Agricultural Growth and Openness," Economics Series Working Papers 161, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.