Debt, Finance, Production and Trade in a North-South Model: The Surplus Approach
AbstractThis paper presents a short-period North-South model based upon the surplus approach formalized by Piero Sraffa. Its major innovation is the introduction of a unified international banki ng sector, patterned after the Euro-banking system, that creates cred it as a multiple of deposits received from each region. The model fac ilities investigation of "crowding out" and "crowding in" within and across regions, interregional and intraregional competition for c redit, and the origins of debt crises, including the Brimmer-Kindlebe rger commercial bank "loan pushing" phenomenon. The model also is c ompared briefly with other recent explanations for the developing-cou ntry debt trauma. Copyright 1987 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. O. Odedokun, 1997. "Relative effects of public versus private investment spending on economic efficiency and growth in developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(10), pages 1325-1336.
- Bilge Erten, 2010. "Industrial Upgrading and Export Diversification: A Comparative Analysis of Economic Policies in Turkey and Malaysia," Working Papers id:2778, eSocialSciences.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister & Mahmood Pradhan & Hossein Samiei, 1996.
"Have North-South Growth Linkages Changed?,"
IMF Working Papers
96/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Mainwaring, Lynn, 1998. "Transfers in a North-South Growth Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(5), pages 592-603, November.
- William Darity & Lewis S. Davis, 2005. "Growth, trade and uneven development," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(1), pages 141-170, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.