Impoverishment, Technology and Growth in Rural India
AbstractThis paper seeks to demonstrate that the effects of the introd uction of new (Green Revolution) agriculture technology in rural Indi a were highly ambiguous. Based on an analysis of rural households und ertaken between 1968 and 1971, the paper shows that a nonnegligible number of households became poorer. It is argued that a key reason for this was the fact that large cultivators were able to benefit dispro portionately from the growth process unleased by the new technology. It is conjectured, on the basis of more recent evidence, that there was a weakening over time in some of the causal mechanisms making for impoverishment. Copyright 1987 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1987)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aubhik Khan & B. Ravikumar, 2000.
"Costly technology adoption and capital accumulation,"
00-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Aubhik Khan & B. Ravikumar, 2002. "Costly Technology Adoption and Capital Accumulation," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(2), pages 489-502, April.
- Khan, A. & Ravikumar, B., 1997. "Costly Technology Adoption and Capital Accumulation," Working Papers 97-12, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Aubhik Khan & B. Ravikumar, 1998. "Costly Technology Adoption and Capital Accumulation," Development and Comp Systems 9802001, EconWPA.
- Osborne, Theresa, 2006. "Credit and risk in rural developing economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 541-568, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.