Adaptive Lasso for Cox's proportional hazards model
AbstractWe investigate the variable selection problem for Cox's proportional hazards model, and propose a unified model selection and estimation procedure with desired theoretical properties and computational convenience. The new method is based on a penalized log partial likelihood with the adaptively weighted L 1 penalty on regression coefficients, providing what we call the adaptive Lasso estimator. The method incorporates different penalties for different coefficients: unimportant variables receive larger penalties than important ones, so that important variables tend to be retained in the selection process, whereas unimportant variables are more likely to be dropped. Theoretical properties, such as consistency and rate of convergence of the estimator, are studied. We also show that, with proper choice of regularization parameters, the proposed estimator has the oracle properties. The convex optimization nature of the method leads to an efficient algorithm. Both simulated and real examples show that the method performs competitively. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 94 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhao, Sihai Dave & Li, Yi, 2012. "Principled sure independence screening for Cox models with ultra-high-dimensional covariates," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 397-411.
- Chen, Xiaolin & Wang, Qihua, 2013. "Variable selection in the additive rate model for recurrent event data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 491-503.
- Hu, Yuao & Lian, Heng, 2013. "Variable selection in a partially linear proportional hazards model with a diverging dimensionality," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 61-69.
- Toshio Honda & Wolfgang Karl Härdle, 2012. "Variable selection in Cox regression models with varying coefficients," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-061, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Lian, Heng & Li, Jianbo & Hu, Yuao, 2013. "Shrinkage variable selection and estimation in proportional hazards models with additive structure and high dimensionality," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 99-112.
- Hess, Wolfgang & Persson, Maria & Rubenbauer, Stephanie & Gertheiss, Jan, 2013.
"Using Lasso-Type Penalties to Model Time-Varying Covariate Effects in Panel Data Regressions – A Novel Approach Illustrated by the ‘Death of Distance’ in International Trade,"
Working Paper Series
961, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Hess, Wolfgang & Persson, Maria & Rubenbauer, Stephanie & Gertheiss, Jan, 2013. "Using Lasso-Type Penalties to Model Time-Varying Covariate Effects in Panel Data Regressions - A Novel Approach Illustrated by the 'Death of Distance' in International Trade," Working Papers 2013:5, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Tang, Linjun & Zhou, Zhangong & Wu, Changchun, 2012. "Weighted composite quantile estimation and variable selection method for censored regression model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 653-663.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.