An asymptotic theory for model selection inference in general semiparametric problems
AbstractHjort & Claeskens (2003) developed an asymptotic theory for model selection, model averaging and subsequent inference using likelihood methods in parametric models, along with associated confidence statements. In this article, we consider a semiparametric version of this problem, wherein the likelihood depends on parameters and an unknown function, and model selection/averaging is to be applied to the parametric parts of the model. We show that all the results of Hjort & Claeskens hold in the semiparametric context, if the Fisher information matrix for parametric models is replaced by the semiparametric information bound for semiparametric models, and if maximum likelihood estimators for parametric models are replaced by semiparametric efficient profile estimators. Our methods of proof employ Le Cam's contiguity lemmas, leading to transparent results. The results also describe the behaviour of semiparametric model estimators when the parametric component is misspecified, and also have implications for pointwise-consistent model selectors. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 94 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liu, Chu-An & Kuo, Biing-Shen, 2014. "Model Averaging in Predictive Regressions," MPRA Paper 54198, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toru Kitagawa & Chris Muris, 2013. "Covariate selection and model averaging in semiparametric estimation of treatment effects," CeMMAP working papers CWP61/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Liu, Lian, 2007. "Estimation of generalized partially linear models with measurement error using sufficiency scores," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(15), pages 1580-1588, September.
- Maity, Arnab, 2008. "Efficient estimation of population quantiles in general semiparametric regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2744-2750, November.
- Liu, Chu-An, 2013. "Distribution Theory of the Least Squares Averaging Estimator," MPRA Paper 54201, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wei, Jiawei & Carroll, Raymond J. & Maity, Arnab, 2011. "Testing for constant nonparametric effects in general semiparametric regression models with interactions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(7), pages 717-723, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.