Estimating residual variance in nonparametric regression using least squares
AbstractWe propose a new estimator for the error variance in a nonparametric regression model. We estimate the error variance as the intercept in a simple linear regression model with squared differences of paired observations as the dependent variable and squared distances between the paired covariates as the regressor. For the special case of a one-dimensional domain with equally spaced design points, we show that our method reaches an asymptotic optimal rate which is not achieved by some existing methods. We conduct extensive simulations to evaluate finite-sample performance of our method and compare it with existing methods. Our method can be extended to nonparametric regression models with multivariate functions defined on arbitrary subsets of normed spaces, possibly observed on unequally spaced or clustered designed points. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 92 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Hall & Joel Horowitz, 2013. "A simple bootstrap method for constructing nonparametric confidence bands for functions," CeMMAP working papers CWP29/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Eckhard Liebscher, 2012. "Model checks for parametric regression models," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 132-155, March.
- Paul Hall & Joel Horowitz, 2012. "A simple bootstrap method for constructing nonparametric confidence bands for functions," CeMMAP working papers CWP14/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Liitiäinen, Elia & Corona, Francesco & Lendasse, Amaury, 2010. "Residual variance estimation using a nearest neighbor statistic," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(4), pages 811-823, April.
- Mendez, Guillermo & Lohr, Sharon, 2011. "Estimating residual variance in random forest regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(11), pages 2937-2950, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.