Regulatory Policy Design for Agroecosystem Management on Public Rangelands
AbstractThis paper develops a model to analyze regulatory design for agroecosystem management on public rangeland. We define and compare the efficiency of the most prominent regulatory instruments on public rangeland--input regulation, cost-sharing/taxation, and performance regulation. We show that given informational asymmetries between ranchers and regulators within federal land management agencies, performance regulation can achieve first-best outcomes when regulators can perfectly monitor ranch-level ecological conditions and do not face constraints due to budget limitations or restrictions on the level of penalties they can assess, but that under imperfect monitoring and/or budgetary/penalty constraints, input regulation and cost-sharing/taxation can dominate performance regulation. Copyright 2013, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 95 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tigran Melkonyan & Michael Taylor, 2010. "Regulatory Policy Design for Agroecosystem Management on Public Rangelands," Working Papers 10-007, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- D86 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Economics of Contract Law
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Myles J. Watts, 1995. "Public Grazing in the West and "Rangeland Reform '94"," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series archive-46, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- P. Bontems & J-M. Bourgeon, 2000.
"Optimal Environmental Taxation and Enforcement Policy,"
THEMA Working Papers
2000-56, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Bontems, Philippe & Bourgeon, Jean-Marc, 2005. "Optimal environmental taxation and enforcement policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 409-435, February.
- Philippe Bontems & Jean-Marc Bourgeon, 2005. "Optimal environmental taxation and enforcement policy," Working Papers 156808, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Bontems, Philippe & Thomas, Alban, 2006. "AJAE Appendix: Regulating Nitrogen Pollution with Risk-Averse Farmers under Hidden Information and Moral Hazard," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), February.
- Brent Hueth & Tigran Melkonyan, 2009. "Standards and the regulation of environmental risk," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 219-246, December.
- GAUTIER, Axel, .
"Regulation under financial constraints,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1815, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hongli Feng, 2007.
"Green Payments and Dual Policy Goals,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
02-wp304, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Watts, Myles J. & Shimshack, Jay P. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T, 2006.
"Grazing fees versus stewardship on federal lands,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1022, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Watts, Myles J & Shimshack, Jay P & LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 2006. "Grazing Fees versus Stewardship on Federal Lands," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt26b384t9, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Anthon, Signe & Bogetoft, Peter & Thorsen, Bo Jellesmark, 2007. "Socially optimal procurement with tight budgets and rationing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1625-1642, August.
- Sheriff, Glenn, 2008. "Optimal environmental regulation of politically influential sectors with asymmetric information," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 72-89, January.
- Rui R. Zhao, 2008. "All-or-Nothing Monitoring," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1619-28, September.
- GAUTIER, Axel & MITRA, Munipushpak, .
"Regulating a monopolist with limited funds,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1843, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philippe Bontems & Gilles Rotillon & Nadine Turpin, 2005. "Self-Selecting Agri-environmental Policieswith an Application to the Don Watershed," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(3), pages 275-301, 07.
- Johnson, Ronald N. & Watts, Myles J., 1989. "Contractual stipulations, resource use, and interest groups: Implications from federal grazing contracts," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 87-96, January.
- Keith, John E. & Lyon, Kenneth S., 1985. "Valuing Wildlife Management: A Utah Deer Herd," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 10(02), December.
- Havstad, Kris M. & Peters, Debra P.C. & Skaggs, Rhonda & Brown, Joel & Bestelmeyer, Brandon & Fredrickson, Ed & Herrick, Jeffrey & Wright, Jack, 2007. "Ecological services to and from rangelands of the United States," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 261-268, December.
- Xu, Feng & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Torell, L. Allen, 1994. "Modeling Nonnegativity Via Truncated Logistic And Normal Distributions: An Application To Ranch Land Price Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.