Does Local Labeling Complement or Compete with Other Sustainable Labels? A Conjoint Analysis of Direct and Joint Values for Fresh Produce Claim
AbstractAs a way to explore the increasing use of sustainability labels in the marketplace, this study analyzes the differential values and interactive effects of sustainable production claims (organic, fair trade, and carbon footprint) and location claims through a conjoint choice experiment included in a 2008 U.S. survey. Locally grown is the highest valued claim, and its value is further enhanced with fair trade certification, but carbon-intensive local products are discounted more severely than those sourced from other locations. Some negatively valued claims (imports and carbon footprint) can be mitigated by combining them with other claims (organic and fair trade). Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00722592 is not listed on IDEAS
- Adalja, Aaron & Hanson, James & Towe, Charles & Tselepidakis, Elina, 2013. "An Examination of Consumer Willingness to Pay for Local Products," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150505, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00593744 is not listed on IDEAS
- Douadia Bougherara & Sandrine Costa & Mario Teisl, 2012.
"Making or buying environmental public goods: do consumers care?,"
Working Papers SMART - LERECO
12-04, INRA UMR SMART.
- Douadia Bougherara & Sandrine Costa & Mario Teisl, 2013. "Making or Buying Environmental Public Goods: Do Consumers Care?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 89(4), pages 767-781.
- Mika Kortelainen & Jibonayan Raychaudhuri & Beatrice Roussillon, 2013. "Effects of Carbon Reduction Labels: Evidence From Scanner Data," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1309, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Uchida, Hirotsugu & Onozaka, Yuko & Morita, Tamaki & Managi, Shunsuke, 2014. "Demand for ecolabeled seafood in the Japanese market: A conjoint analysis of the impact of information and interaction with other labels," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 68-76.
- Sackett, Hillary M. & Shupp, Robert S. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2012. "Discrete Choice Modeling of Consumer Preferences for Sustainably Produced Steak and Apples," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123517, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Knight, Andrew J., 2013. "Evaluating local food programs: The case of Select Nova Scotia," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 29-39.
- Sihem Dekhili & Mohamed Akli Achabou, 2014. "How the 'made in' can influence the eco-equality assessment of a product: An experimental study on the case of the European Ecolabel," Working Papers 2014-140, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Menapace, Luisa & Raffaelli, Roberta, 2013. "Do ‘locally grown’ claims influence artisanal food purchase? Evidence from a natural field experiment," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150282, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Campbell, Benjamin L. & Mhlanga, Saneliso & Lesschaeve, Isabelle, 2013. "Consumer Preferences for Peach Attributes: Market Segmentation Analysis and Implications for New Marketing Strategies," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 42(3), December.
- Costanigro, Marco & Kroll, Stephan & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2012. "Local, Organic, Conventional— Asymmetric Effects of Information and Taste on Label Preferences in an Experimental Auction," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123199, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sabrina Teyssier & Fabrice Etilé & Pierre Combris, 2012. "Social- and Self-Image Concerns in Fair-Trade Consumption: Evidence from Experimental Auctions for Chocolate," PSE Working Papers halshs-00722592, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.