Heterogeneity and Distributional Form of Farm-Level Yields
AbstractRepresenting farm-level crop yield heterogeneity and distributional form is critical for risk and crop insurance research. Most studies have used county data, understating both systematic and random variation. Comparison of systematic versus random intra-county variation is lacking. Few studies compare the various distributional forms that have been proposed. This study utilizes the extensive potential of government farm-level crop insurance data. Results show that systematic intra-county variation is surprisingly strong. A newly applied reverse lognormal distribution is preferred when county-wide variation is removed, but the normal distribution fits surprisingly well in the crop insurance relevant percentiles when county-wide variation is not removed. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00796528 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gerlt, Scott & Westhoff, Patrick, 2013. "Analysis of the Supplemental Coverage Option," 2013 AAEA: Crop Insurance and the Farm Bill Symposium, October 8-9, Louisville, KY 156704, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tack, Jesse, 2013. "A Nested Test for Common Yield Distributions with Applications to U.S. Corn," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Hennessy, David A., 2011.
"Modeling Stochastic Crop Yield Expectations with a Limiting Beta Distribution,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Hennessy, David A., 2012. "Modeling Stochastic Crop Yield Expectations with a Limiting Beta Distribution," Staff General Research Papers 35020, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Conradt, Sarah & Bokusheva, Raushan & Finger, Robert & Kussaiynov, Talgat, 2012. "Yield trend estimation in the presence of non-constant technological change and weather effects," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122541, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tolhurst, Tor & Ker, Alan P., 2013. "On Technological Change in Crop Yields," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151269, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:hal:ciredw:hal-00796528 is not listed on IDEAS
- Awondo, Sebastain N. & Datta, Gauri S. & Ramirez, Octavio A. & Fonsah, Esendugue Greg, 2012. "Estimation of crop yield distribution and Insurance Premium using Shrinkage Estimator: A Hierarchical Bayes and Small Area Estimation Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 126778, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Zulauf, Carl R. & Demircan, Vecdi & Scnhitkey, Gary & Barnaby, Art & Ibendahl, Gregg & Herbel, Kevin, 2013. "Examining Contemporaneous Farm and County Losses Using Farm Level Data," 2013 AAEA: Crop Insurance and the Farm Bill Symposium, October 8-9, Louisville, KY 157812, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wade, Tara & Kurkalova, Lyubov A. & Secchi, Silvia, 2012. "Using the logit model with aggregated choice data in estimation of Iowa corn farmers’ conservation tillage subsidies," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124974, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.