Technology Adoption and Technical Efficiency: Organic and Conventional Dairy Farms in the United States
AbstractWe compare productivity and technical efficiency of organic and conventional dairy farms in the United States. We address self-selection into organic farming by using propensity score matching and explicitly test the hypothesis that organic and conventional farms employ a single, homogeneous technology. Utilizing the 2005 Agricultural Resource Management Survey on Dairy Costs and Returns Report (ARMS) data, we reject the homogeneous technology hypothesis and find that the organic dairy technology is approximately 13% less productive. However, we find little difference in technical efficiency between organic and conventional farms when technical efficiency is measured against the appropriate technology. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe & Tiedemann, Torben, 2011. "Organic or conventional? Optimal dairy farming technology under the EU milk quota system and organic subsidies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 223-229, April.
- Laure Latruffe & Céline Nauges, 2010.
"Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France,"
Working Papers SMART - LERECO
201017, INRA UMR SMART.
- Latruffe, Laure & Nauges, CÃ©line, 2010. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," LERNA Working Papers 10.23.329, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Latruffe, Laure & Nauges, Céline, 2010. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," TSE Working Papers 10-209, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & William Greene & Daniel Solís, 2012. "Technical efficiency analysis correcting for biases from observed and unobserved variables: an application to a natural resource management project," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 55-72, August.
- Mugonola, Basil & Vranken, Liesbet & Maertens, Miet & Deckers, Jozef & Taylor, Daniel B & Bonabana-Wabbi, Jackline & Mathijs, Erik, 2013. "Soil and water conservation technologies and technical efficiency in banana production in upper Rwizi micro-catchment, Uganda," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1), July.
- Key, Nigel D. & McBride, William D., 2012. "Sub-therapeutic Antibiotics and the Efficiency of U.S. Hog Farms," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124725, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach & Isabel Teichmann, 2011.
"The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1120, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach & Isabel Teichmann, 2012. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1189-1201.
- von Schlippenbach, Vanessa & Teichmann, Isabel, 2012. "The strategic use of private quality standards in food supply chains," DICE Discussion Papers 62, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Teichmann, Isabel & von Schlippenbach, Vanessa, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116079, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- von Schlippenbach, Vanessa & Teichmann, Isabel, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114519, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sébastien MARCHAND & Huanxiu GUO, 2012.
"The environmental efficiency of non-certified organic farming in China: a case study of paddy rice production,"
- Huanxiu GUO & Sébastien Marchand, 2013. "The environmental efficiency of non-certified organic farming in China: a case study of paddy rice production," Working Papers halshs-00763675, HAL.
- McBride, William & Greene, Catherine & Foreman, Linda, 2013. "The Structure and Profitability of Organic Field Corn Production," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149671, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Latruffe, Laure & Nauges, Celine, 2010. "Converting to organic farming in France: Is there a selection problem?," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109386, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rao, Elizaphan J.O. & Brummer, Bernhard & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Farmer Participation in Supermarket Channels, Production Technology, and Efficiency: The Case of Vegetables in Kenya," Discussion Papers 113508, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Cordero, José Manuel & Santín, Daniel & Sicilia, Gabriela, 2013. "Dealing with the Endogeneity Problem in Data Envelopment Analysis," MPRA Paper 47475, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdoulaye, Ibrahim Djido & Sanders, John H., 2013. "A Matching Approach to Analyze the Impact of New Agricultural Technologies: Productivity and Technical Efficiency in Niger," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150434, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dong, Fengxia & Hennessy, David & Jensen, Helen H., 2013. "Size, Productivity and Exit Decisions in Dairy Farms," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150339, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.