Payment Limitations and Acreage Decisions under Risk Aversion: A Simulation Approach
AbstractPayment limits have played an important role in U.S. farm policy deliberations for the last thirty years. Current limits are largely nonbinding. Proposals to strengthen and enforce limits are currently in discussion. We evaluate the likely effects of such proposals on acreage for corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice in several important producing states. Our results generally indicate that payment limits are unlikely to significantly affect acreage in most cases; exceptions occur for cotton and rice, where the probability that limits would be binding is much greater and thus more likely to affect production. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Schnitkey, Gary D. & Zulauf, Carl R., 2009. "Constructing Farm Level Yield Densities from Aggregated Data: Analysis and Comparison of Approaches," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49216, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2009. "ACRE: A Revenue-Based Alternative to Price-Based Commodity Payment Programs," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49180, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lee, Sangjun & Zhao, Jinhua & Thornsbury, Suzanne, 2013. "Extreme Events and Land Use Decisions under Climate Change in Tart Cherry Industry in Michigan," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150568, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dörschner, Till & Musshoff, Oliver, 2013. "Does the risk attitude influence the farmers' willingness to participate in agri-environmental measures? – A normative approach to evaluate ecosystem services," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156112, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- White, T. Kirk & Hoppe, Robert A., 2012. "Changing Farm Structure and the Distribution of Farm Payments and Federal Crop Insurance," Economic Information Bulletin 120309, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Moro, Daniele & Sckokai, Paolo, 2013. "The impact of decoupled payments on farm choices: Conceptual and methodological challenges," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 28-38.
- Anton, Jesus & Kimura, Shingo, 2009. "Farm Level Analysis of Risk, and Risk Management Strategies and Policies: Evidence from German Crop Farms," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51729, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.