Environmental Policy Uncertainty and Marketable Permit Systems: The Dutch Phosphate Quota Program
AbstractTradable permits are generally considered as an efficient instrument to regulate pollution by individual producers. However, uncertainty about changes in or possible discontinuation of the program could make individual farmers reluctant to invest in tradable permits. This article uses the option approach to derive a theoretical model that shows the impact of policy uncertainty on investment in tradable quota. The empirical assessment provides weak evidence for the existence of option values due to policy uncertainty for phosphate quota in swine production in the Netherlands. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Van der Straeten, Bart & Buysse, Jeroen & Nolte, Stephan & Lauwers, Ludwig H. & Claeys, Dakerlia & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Policy intervention in a concentration permit market: efficiency analysis of obligatory manure processing in Flanders," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114832, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ihli, Hanna Julia & Musshoff, Oliver, 2013. "Understanding the Investment Behavior of Ugandan Smallholder Farmers: An Experimental Analysis," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150331, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Chevallier, Julien & Etner, Johanna & Jouvet, Pierre-André, 2011.
"Bankable emission permits under uncertainty and optimal risk-management rules,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5385, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chevallier, Julien & Etner, Johanna & Jouvet, Pierre-André, 2011. "Bankable emission permits under uncertainty and optimal risk-management rules," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 332-339, December.
- Julien Chevallier & Johanna Etner & Pierre-André Jouvet, 2008. "Bankable Pollution Permits under Uncertainty and Optimal Risk Management Rules: Theory and Empirical Evidence," EconomiX Working Papers 2008-25, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Ihli, Hanna Julia & Mußhoff, Oliver, 2013. "Investment Behavior of Ugandan Smallholder Farmers: An Experimental Analysis," Discussion Papers 154775, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- der Straeten, Bart Van & Buysse, Jeroen & Nolte, Stephan & Lauwers, Ludwig & Claeys, Dakerlia & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Markets of concentration permits: The case of manure policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(11), pages 2098-2104, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.