Economic Adjustments to Groundwater Depletion in the High Plains: Do Water-Saving Irrigation Systems Save Water?
AbstractA common policy prescription for conserving irrigation water is to promote more efficient or “water-saving” irrigation technologies. We develop a risk-programing model to quantify the effect of irrigation efficiency on irrigation water use in the High Plains, taking account of irrigation timing and well capacity limits. We find that optimal irrigation does not respond monotonically to changes in efficiency, although intermediate and high-efficiency systems both result in less water use than an inefficient flood system. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 87 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saak, Alexander E. & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2006.
"Groundwater Use under Incomplete Information,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21190, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richard Hornbeck & Pinar Keskin, 2011. "The Evolving Impact of the Ogallala Aquifer: Agricultural Adaptation to Groundwater and Climate," NBER Working Papers 17625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122312 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hendricks, Nathan P. & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2012. "Fixed Effects Estimation of the Intensive and Extensive Margins of Irrigation Water Demand," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Peterson, Jeffrey M. & Saak, Alexander E., 2013. "Spatial externalities in aquifers with varying thickness: Theory and numerical results for the Ogallala aquifer," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150553, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Saak, Alexander E., 2008. "Groundwater Use in Asymmetric Aquifer under Incomplete Information," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6545, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Blanke, Amelia & Rozelle, Scott & Lohmar, Bryan & Wang, Jinxia & Huang, Jikun, 2007. "Water saving technology and saving water in China," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 139-150, January.
- Blanke, Amelia & Rozelle, Scott & Lohmar, Bryan & Wang, Jinxia & Huang, Jikun, 2005. "Rural Water Saving Technology Adoption in Northern China: An Analysis of Survey Data," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19437, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rejesus, Roderick M. & Palis, Florencia G. & Rodriguez, Divina Gracia P. & Lampayan, Ruben M. & Bouman, Bas A.M., 2011. "Impact of the alternate wetting and drying (AWD) water-saving irrigation technique: Evidence from rice producers in the Philippines," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 280-288, April.
- Olen, Beau & Wu, JunJie & Langpap, Christian, 2012. "Crop-specific Irrigation Choices for Major Crops on the West Coast: Water Scarcity and Climatic Determinants," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124843, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Zekri, Slim, 2008. "Using economic incentives and regulations to reduce seawater intrusion in the Batinah coastal area of Oman," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 243-252, March.
- Golden, Bill B. & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2006. "Evaluation of Water Conservation From More Efficient Irrigation Systems," Staff Papers 117979, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Ding, Ya & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2012. "Comparing the Cost-Effectiveness of Water Conservation Policies in a Depleting Aquifer: A Dynamic Analysis of the Kansas High Plains," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(02), May.
- Ashwell, Nicolas E. Quintana & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2013. "The Impact of Irrigation Capital Subsidies on Common-pool Groundwater Use and Depletion: Results for Western Kansas," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150703, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.