Environmental Regulation and the Spatial Structure of the U.S. Dairy Sector
AbstractSubstantial public scrutiny about adverse environmental impacts of the dairy sector has resulted in increased environmental regulations. A behavioral model of location and production is developed to examine the impacts of environmental regulations, traditional location factors, and agglomeration economies on the spatial structure and geographical location of dairy production. The results show that counties in the states with more stringent environmental regulations tend to lose dairy inventories to those with less stringent policies. There are substantially meaningful spatial patterns of dairy production. Current dairy production levels are positively correlated while changes in production levels are negatively correlated across counties. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laroche Dupraz, C. & Postolle, A., 2013.
"Food sovereignty and agricultural trade policy commitments: How much leeway do West African nations have?,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 115-125.
- Catherine Laroche Dupraz & Angèle Postolle, 2011. "Food sovereignty and agricultural trade policy commitments: How much leeway do West African nations have?," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 11-03, INRA UMR SMART.
- Catherine Laroche-Dupraz & AngÃ¨le POSTOLLE, 2013. "Food sovereignty and agricultural trade policy commitments: how much leeway do West African nations have?," Working Papers 171027, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Sneeringer, Stacy E. & Hogle, Regina, 2008. "Variation in Environmental Regulations in California and Effects on Dairy Location," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 37(2), October.
- Cheng, Mei-luan & Gomez, Miguel I. & Bills, Nelson L., 2011. "Urban Agglomeration Economies in the U.S. Greenhouse and Nursery Production," Working Papers 126611, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Alfons Weersink & Christin Eveland, 2006. "The Siting of Livestock Facilities and Environmental Regulations," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 159-173, 03.
- Larue, S. & Abildtrup, Jens & Schmitt, Bertrand, 2008. "Modelling the Spatial Structure of Pig Production in Denmark," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44281, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sambidi, Pramod R. & Harrison, R. Wes, 2005. "Spatial Dependency of the Geographically Concentrated U.S. Broiler Industry," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19368, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sneeringer, Stacy E., 2009.
"Effects of Environmental Regulation on Economic Activity and Pollution in Commercial Agriculture,"
2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia
46591, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Sneeringer Stacy E, 2009. "Effects of Environmental Regulation on Economic Activity and Pollution in Commercial Agriculture," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-35, July.
- Chad Lawley & Hartley Furtan, 2008. "The Political Trade-Off Between Environmental Stringency And Economic Development In Rural America," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 547-566.
- Johansson, Robert C. & Kara, Erdal & Ribaudo, Marc, 2006. "On how environmental stringency influences BMP adoption," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21207, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carl Gaigné & Julie Le Gallo & Solène Larue & Bertrand Schmitt, 2011. "Does the regulation of manure land application work against agglomeration economies? Theory and evidence from the French hog sector," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 11-02, INRA UMR SMART.
- Mack, Gabriele, 2012. "Spatial expansion of farm types and neighborhood influence - conversions to specialized suckler cow farms in Switzerland," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 124849, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Luljeta Hajderllari & Kostas Karantininis & Ole Bonnichsen, 2012. "Danish Farmers and Investors: An analysis of reasons and motivations for increasing cross-border agricultural activities in Central and Eastern European countries," IFRO Working Paper 2012/10, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Garth Holloway & Donald Lacombe & James P. LeSage, 2007.
"Spatial Econometric Issues for Bio-Economic and Land-Use Modelling,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 549-588, 09.
- Holloway, Garth J. & Lacombe, Donald J. & LeSage, James P., 2006. "Spatial Econometric Issues for Bio-Economic and Land-Use Modeling," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25525, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gabriele Mack, 2012. "Spatial expansion of farm types and neighborhood influence – conversions to suckler cow farms in Switzerland," Yearbook of Socioeconomics in Agriculture, Swiss Society for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, vol. 5(1), pages 153-175.
- Carl Gaigne & Julie LeGallo & Bertrand Schmitt, 2011. "Does Environmental Regulation Work Against Agglomeration Economies? Evidence From French Hog Production," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1326, European Regional Science Association.
- Sambidi, Pramod R. & Harrison, R. Wes, 2006. "Spatial Clustering of the U.S. Biotech Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21360, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mosnier, Claire & Wieck, Christine, 2010. "Determinants of spatial dynamics of dairy production: a review," Discussion Papers 162896, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.