Entry, Exit, and Farm Size: Assessing an Experiment in Dairy Price Policy
AbstractThis article models and estimates the forces behind farm exits and changes in herd-size among Connecticut dairy farms under the New England Dairy Compact. A model of sunk costs and farm capital investment is used to specify two econometric estimations: a random effects probit model of farm entry and exit and an autocorrelated generalized least squares panel data model of farm size. The Dairy Compact's price strategy reduced farm exits and moderately increased cow numbers. In contrast, development pressures and historically low unemployment rates increased farm exits. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Mees, Martin, 2010. "Growth Of German Dairy Farms Under The Eu Milk Quota," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93950, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Van Herck, Kristine, 2011.
"Where have all the farmers gone? EU Accession and Structural Change in Bulgaria,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114829, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Van Herck, Kristine, 2011. "Where Have All the Farmers Gone? EU Accession and Structural Change in Bulgaria," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/319737, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Ihli, Hanna Julia & Mußhoff, Oliver, 2013. "Investment Behavior of Ugandan Smallholder Farmers: An Experimental Analysis," Discussion Papers 154775, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Peerlings, Jack H.M. & Ooms, Daan L., 2008. "Farm growth and exit: consequences of EU dairy policy reform for Dutch dairy farming," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44384, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Rubin, Ofir D., 2006.
"Assessing The Response Of Farm Households To Dairy Policy Reform In Israel,"
7134, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Rubin, Ofir D., 2007. "Assessing the Response of Farm Households to Dairy Policy Reform in Israel," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9948, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kimhi, Ayal & Rubin, Ofir, 2007. "Assessing the Response of Farm Households to Dairy Policy Reform in Israel," Staff General Research Papers 12823, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Berlinschi, Ruxanda & Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Van Herck, Kristine, 2012. "Subsidies and agricultural employment: The education channel," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126776, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Maack, Moritz & Maart, Syster Christin & Musshoff, Oliver, 2012. "The Impact of Price Floors -A Real Options Based Experimental Approach-," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124328, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Kuo-Liang Chang & George Langelett & Andrew Waugh, 2011. "Health, Health Insurance, and Decision to Exit from Farming," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 356-372, June.
- BROSIG, Stephan & GLAUBEN, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & WANG, Xiaobing, 2009. "Persistence of full- and part-time farming in Southern China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 360-371, June.
- Huettel, Silke & Jongeneel, Roelof A., 2008. "Structural Change in the Dairy Sectors of Germany and The Netherlands - A Markov Chain Analysis," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43659, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jongeneel, Roelof A. & Longworth, Natasha & Huettel, Silke, 2005. "Dairy Farm Size Distribution in East and West: Evolution and Sensitivity to Structural and Policy Variables: Case-Studies of the Netherlands, Germany, Poland and Hungary," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24772, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Foltz, Jeremy D. & Aldana, Ursula, 2006. "Off-Farm Work and On-Farm Investment," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21185, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Spiro E. Stefanou, 2009. "Comment on "Producer Dynamics in Agriculture: Empirical Evidence"," NBER Chapters, in: Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data, pages 391-394 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary Clare Ahearn & Penni Korb & Jet Yee, 2009. "Producer Dynamics in Agriculture: Empirical Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data, pages 369-391 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francksen, Tammo & Hagemann, Martin & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe, 2011. "Eine empirische Untersuchung zum Wachstum von Milchviehbetrieben mittels der Ereignisanalyse," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114494, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.