The Contribution of Unmeasurable Inputs to Fisheries Production: An Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Fishing Vessels in the English Channel
AbstractVariations in the efficiency of demersal trawlers operating in the English Channel were examined through the estimation of a stochastic frontier production function. The most important measurable factor affecting efficiency was the age of the vessel. However, unmeasurable factors accounted for about 65% of the variation in efficiency, and as much as 9% of the total variation in catches between boats. It is postulated that most of this variation was due to differences in skipper and crew skill. In contrast, “luck” accounted for around 11% of the variation in catches between boats. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diop, Hamady & Keithly, Walter R., Jr. & Kazmierczak, Richard F., Jr. & Diagne, Assane, 2007. "Economic And Physical Measures of Efficiency: the Case of the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34915, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- repec:ags:mareec:28118 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eggert, Hakan & Tveteras, Ragnar, 2001.
"Stochastic Production And Heterogeneous Risk Preferences: Commercial Fishers' Gear Choice,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20671, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Eggert, Håkan & Tveterås, Ragnar, 2001. "Stochastic Production and Heterogeneous Risk Preferences: Commercial Fishers’ Gear Choices," Working Papers in Economics 54, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Lokina, Razack B., 2008. "Technical Efficiency and the Role of Skipper Skill in Artisanal Lake Victoria Fisheries," Discussion Papers dp-08-13-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004.
"Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Ronald Felthoven & William Horrace & Kurt Schnier, 2009.
"Estimating heterogeneous capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 173-189, December.
- Ronald G. Felthovan & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Capacity and Capacity Utilization in a Multi-Species Fishery," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 86, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Eggert, Håkan & Ulmestrand, Mats, 2007. "Tenure Rights and Stewardship of Marine Resources: A co-managed Swedish shrimp fishery in a marine reserve," Working Papers in Economics 253, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- repec:ags:mareec:7041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fox, Kevin J. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2006. "Capacity reduction, quota trading and productivity: the case of a fishery," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- repec:ags:mareec:133335 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006.
"Identifying Technically Efficient Fishing Vessels: A Non-Empty, Minimal Subset Approach,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
78, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2007. "Identifying technically efficient fishing vessels: a non-empty, minimal subset approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 729-745.
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Capacity Reduction and Productivity: The Case of Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0303, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Productivity and capacity reduction: the case of a fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-2, International and Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.