Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights: Causes and Consequences
AbstractA game-theoretic model of heterogeneous producers is developed to examine the economic causes and consequences of intellectual property right (IPR) infringement in the context of a small open developing economy. Analytical results show that complete deterrence of IPR infringement is not always economically optimal. IPR infringement affects economic welfare and has important ramifications for the pricing and adoption of the new technology (biotechnology). The quantitative nature of results depends on the labeling regime. If the TRIPs agreement follows the custom of retaliatory sanctions under GATT, IPR enforcement will remain imperfect and innovators' ability to obtain value for their biotech traits will be limited. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Veyssiere, Luc & Giannakas, Konstantinos, 2004.
"Strategic Labeling And Trade Of Gmos,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20244, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Veyssiere Luc & Giannakas Konstantinos, 2006. "Strategic Labeling and Trade of GMOs," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-40, January.
- Alireza Naghavi, 2007.
"Strategic Intellectual Property Rights Policy and North-South Technology Transfer,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 55-78, April.
- Alireza Naghavi, 2005. "Strategic Intellectual Property Rights Policy and North-South Technology Transfer," Working Papers 2005.18, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Miller, Andrew D. & Langley, Suchada V. & Chambers, William, 2003.
"Current Issues Affecting Trade And Trade Policy: An Annotated Literature Review,"
14606, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Miller, Andrew D. & Langley, Suchada V. & Chambers, William, 2003. "Current Issues Affecting Trade And Trade Policy: An Annotated Literature Review," Working Papers 14596, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Chattopadhyay, Anasuya & Horbulyk, Theodore M., 2003. "Regulation And Enforcement Of Intellectual Property Rights For Agricultural Biotechnology In Developing Countries," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22121, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sumner J La Croix & Denise Eby Konan, 2006. "Have Developing Countries Gained From the Marriage Between Trade Agreements and Intellectual Property Rights?," Working Papers 200605, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Hareau, Guy G. & Mills, Bradford F. & Norton, George W., 2006. "The potential benefits of herbicide-resistant transgenic rice in Uruguay: Lessons for small developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 162-179, April.
- Galli, Fabrizio & Naseem, Anwar & Singla, Rohit, 2012. "Welfare Effects of Herbicide-Tolerant Rice Adoption in Brazil," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126886, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2004.
"Intellectual Property Rights and the World Trade Organization: Retrospect and Prospects,"
Staff General Research Papers
10442, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2003. "Intellectual Property Rights and the World Trade Organization: Retrospect and Prospects," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp334, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Luc, Veyssiere, 2006. "Best Response to GMOs in Developing Countries," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21075, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Luc, Veyssiere & Giannakas, Konstantinos, 2005. "Regulation and Trade of GMOS," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24592, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.